Glowing wood pile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyIan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last night I turned off the lights and was wandering to bed, I looked out the window and thought I saw some faint glowing from the wood pile... :blob6:
I went outside and it was a few pieces of semi punky beech that I had split that afternoon. I tried to take some pictures but the camera couldn't pick it up. It was pretty neat though.

Anyone else have glowing wood piles?

Make sure you have on your tin foil hat before going back out there....they'll control you mind otherwise!! It's power is strong...it's been known to make a man cut many more cords of wood then he would otherwise, sometimes while drinking beer! Beware.

When I was younger I remember Dad talking about some wood that did it. I told him he was crazy, but we researched it and it is a reported phenomenon. The link ansehnlich1 posted is similar to the information we found about it.

Never seen ths myself, but heard of it. Do you live around any nuclear power plants?:hmm3grin2orange:

tin foil hat

Make sure you have on your tin foil hat before going back out there....they'll control you mind otherwise!! It's power is strong...it's been known to make a man cut many more cords of wood then he would otherwise, sometimes while drinking beer! Beware.

can you make hats like this for women[wives] sounds the same except for the beer part

prolly phosphorescent algae or lichen or somesuch...

The aliens want your beech.

I guess I could let them have some punky pieces, just to be friendly...
I'll check again tonight and pick out the pieces they want.

I could see if you were in the woods at night it would be kinda creepy though!

WOW, have you been reading Harry Potter?
When I was a kid we would find it in the woods, called it foxfire.

While camping one time we saw a white glow in the woods, and after investigating found it was a huge fallen log full of the glowing fungus. We scraped some off thinking we would take it home and show it to people, but by Sunday afternoon our samples had dried up and stopped glowing. Guess it has to stay alive for it to glow? Some was whitish... some blue.

Years ago, when I was in Boy Scouts, (OK, MANY years ago) we would find that stuff on night hikes through the WI State parks. It is definately a real thing. Some kinda moss or fungal growth.
It has to be the right conditions, and seems to only last a couple a days.
Can't remember what we called it though. I remember it giving off a greenish glow. Really neat stuff.

Well I didn't get a repeat performance the next night... I guess it dried up.
Is this a new way to tell if firewood is dry? When it quits glowing?:D

Back