Going shopping but have a ? first

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good discussion with good points being made on both sides!

Please, I am not 'an authority'!!!! Just a climber who has survived to climb another day, through good training and a cautious approach to the work!

I do have a sphincter jerk story from chunking down without a wire core...and cutting a bit of a corner, smack me hard!
I was up at the top of a reduction job, maybe 50', last cut of the day, last available tie in was at foot level, so main line was there, rope lanyard was at waist level, I didn't yet have a wire core...
The last top to go had quite a lean, was only about 6" thick but probably 8-10' long. I knew it would kick, thought I was ready, it kicked, I wasn't quite ready, I instinctively let go to grab with one hand, the saw skidded down the limb in my other hand and JUST touched my lanyard, puffed about three strands. It was WAY too close, I bought a wirecore the next day and didn't chunk anything till I got it! There, that's my confession!

I just feel that the wirecore as the closest tie in to the saw when chunking is an additional margin of safety that is worth the $$. I say MARGIN of safety because it's your positioning and technique that will see you safe, more than taking shortcuts because you have a bit of wire in front of you or thinking the wirecore is indestructible!
For regular pruning I use rope lanyards because you are generally NOT cutting where there is a chance of a slip or follow through contacting your ropes. Or at least you SHOULDN'T be!!!

Latest posts

Back