Golf Pistons?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a problem when putting one on an 064 earlier this year, I had to
"machine" a bevel on the inside of the piston bottom, it was hitting the crankshaft weights.

Otherwise looked good.

I had a failure that was posted here a few weeks ago. The Golf piston itself was not the problem, just the circlip that Golf supplied. My circlip failure was probably a fluke, but still, I think design of the circlip is asking for trouble.

I do not know whether Stihl circlips would fit a Golf piston. I would have no problem with using a Golf piston if a better circlip is used.

I have a golf piston in a saw with stihl circlips.

Golf piston good?, Yeah, I think so.

As good as Stihl?, Yeah right.

What I would like to know is, can you run Stihl rings on a golf piston?

Not the ones I have seen, the rings were of a different thickness.

Ive seen the same.....OEM might be 1.2mm and Golf might be 1.5mm.....Not say these are correct #'s but you get the idea........It sure would be nice if they were the same thickness.......OEM rings seem to have better compression from what I see...

Last edited:
I have a golf piston in a saw with stihl circlips.

Golf piston good?, Yeah, I think so.

As good as Stihl?, Yeah right.

What I would like to know is, can you run Stihl rings on a golf piston?

I paid $35 for the saw, so I can't see spending $118 for a Stihl piston. I can get the Golf for under $30 on Ebay. Just didn't want to go through the labor and have to do it again in 6 months.

Thank you for the input.

golf

as Andy would say, make sure you diagnose the original source of failure first. Never assume it was merely straight gas....

I did a 038 super a while ago, Paid $20 for it, had a scored piston. Funny thing is it has amazing compression with the scored piston, 160psi. But the muffler screens were plugged, and the crank seals were gone, and intake boot was ripped. Did those and it runs like a champ now, with a scored piston and all.

Boy,for paying that little and if thats all thats wrong with it I wouldnt mind spending that much for Stihl piston. I am cheap too. If you bought saw for 100 or more I would think your starting to get high on cost of saw.:confused:

as Andy would say, make sure you diagnose the original source of failure first. Never assume it was merely straight gas....

Speaking of him, where has he been lately?????

When I lived on the lake a few years back, my neighbor/friend was named Andy, his wife thought it was funny when I came around, I would
knock on the door, and do my best aunt Bee impersonation

"AANNDDYYYYYYY!!!!!"

I drained the gas out of it. It was straight gas. I evaluated the piston scoring against the pictures in another informative post on here, and the damage matches the straight gas theory. I am sticking with striaght gas.

If it wasn't, I will have a chace to try another piston manufacturere as suggested here.

Can't lose.

Boy,for paying that little and if thats all thats wrong with it I wouldnt mind spending that much for Stihl piston. I am cheap too. If you bought saw for 100 or more I would think your starting to get high on cost of saw.:confused:

Frugal, the word is frugal. :)

Latest posts

Back