Gone and done it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYLogger

Professional Tree Assassin
Reaction score
This Wednesday I am going to pick up my new (to me) skidder, a little ol' 440 JD. Got it for a steal. And as of July 1 I will be the proud (but broke) owner of a 550H JD dozer......It's time to make the chips fly guys! No more dinking around on the weekends and on rain-days and at night with a farm tractor and winch......... Logging is now officially my livelihood......So, anybody know what winches are compatible with the 550H tractor? I know the JD 4000 is but are there any others?

Now gotta work on hustlin' up some more timber, can't have enough work.

Tom

T-40 JD winch with a good arch is what you need on that 550. you could rig a gearomatic to work but that would be a serious down grade from the JD winch. Call up schaefer equip in IL. they will set you up.

This Wednesday I am going to pick up my new (to me) skidder, a little ol' 440 JD. Got it for a steal. And as of July 1 I will be the proud (but broke) owner of a 550H JD dozer......It's time to make the chips fly guys! No more dinking around on the weekends and on rain-days and at night with a farm tractor and winch......... Logging is now officially my livelihood......So, anybody know what winches are compatible with the 550H tractor? I know the JD 4000 is but are there any others?

Tom

Go get 'em!

i wish you luck in this market. id keep an eye out ffor a good job just in case. i spend as much time cut off from the mills as i do logging right now.

Tom

T-40 JD winch with a good arch is what you need on that 550. you could rig a gearomatic to work but that would be a serious down grade from the JD winch. Call up schaefer equip in IL. they will set you up.

Im only about 45 minutes from Schaefers, and have a pretty good working relationship with them, finding an arch that was made for the 550H used is gonna be hard to get, they get gobbled up as soon as they come in on a machine or get taken off the machine before they get scrapped. now, a person can retrofit an arch off on a skidder onto the back of a dozer (seen it done several times and it work quite well). I know they have an arch for a 650G, cuz i hauled it down there to them, but i don't know if that is the same winch or not.

If you needed im sure i could take a look at or get some pictures of anything you needed at Schaefers, if you call down there, (618) 833-5498 ask for Andy.

What series of 440 did you get?

Just got done mowin' hay, time for a break before I head out to get the 440 and bring her home! It's a B model not sure about the year. Tires are probably 85% and the winch is all spooled up with fairly new swaged cable and a almost brand new set of chokers. Will post pics if I can figure it out tonight. Thanks for the tip on Schaefers, I will keep you in mind when I try to hunt a winch. The good thing about the wife is she's finishing her masters in elementary education and should have a full time teaching job this fall (fingers crossed) Sooooooooo........if she gets the job that means state benefits!!

T minus 2 1/2 weeks till self employment........

Tom

Latest posts

Back