small tracked skidder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one. A little D-21A8. They're handy little sh!ts. Mine starts when it's super cold and will pull quite a bit for it's size. You can snake it through the woods like crazy. It's light enough that I've even driven it on top of dense snow. I pulled out 100 cords of full length birch without a log arch, just flat towing it with chokers on snow trails I made. Not much for real logging, but kick butt for firewood work. Of course, the D6N with 20 hrs on it I ran last week made it look like a toy.

yours have the pyramid tracks or standard? Dont see them very often with standard pads around here

I didn't realize the little D21 could be setup with a winch?
One of my friend's had a D20 for a while. I think that's the older non hydrostatic model? He ended up selling it for a T300 Bobcat.

If I person could figure a way to setup a log arch/winch on the back of a skid steer it would skid pretty well. I used the TR270 we have at the shop to skid a good 30+ cords over 2 days just using my grapple off my S250. It worked fine because it was the last bit on a farm land clearing job so didn't have much to hit with the logs sitting like airplane wings. The tracks do did well in the field too.

yours have the pyramid tracks or standard? Dont see them very often with standard pads around here
Standard steel tracks. I'm putting new spockets on it later in the week.

I didn't realize the little D21 could be setup with a winch?
One of my friend's had a D20 for a while. I think that's the older non hydrostatic model? He ended up selling it for a T300 Bobcat.

If I person could figure a way to setup a log arch/winch on the back of a skid steer it would skid pretty well. I used the TR270 we have at the shop to skid a good 30+ cords over 2 days just using my grapple off my S250. It worked fine because it was the last bit on a farm land clearing job so didn't have much to hit with the logs sitting like airplane wings. The tracks do did well in the field too.
It's not setup with a winch. I just tow off the rear tow hook. It's not a skidder by any means, but it will move logs if you need to. I prefer winter since it slicks things up when you are dragging the whole log on the ground. As for skid steers, I will significantly out pull my Volvo MCT125C tracked skid steer. Traction with the steel grousers and the ability to pop the engagement with the peddle is a significant advantage with the dozer.

Just got back from moving my sister to eastern Colorado and decided to see what was on the forum. While I was up in Colorado I drove around some of the farming areas and found a Case 310G dozer for sale. The undercarriage is about 90% and the rest of the machine is in pretty good shape. The track pads are perfect because there are some rubber pads bolted to the main pads. the ruber has all come off but the metal bracket that holds the pads to the track are still in place, this has left the main track un-worn. the pins on the track are just barely starting to get out of round and the sprockets look great. the rest of the machine looks good with no breaks or major rust. It has hydrolic quick disconnects at the rear and the seat has new upulstery on it. it is a 4cyl diesel and it has a hydrolic dozer blade up front. I only had a few minutes to look it over but it looked good on the outside, I did not get to talk to the owner yet. The price on it was $6,000 OBO. Does anybody have any experience or good/bad info on these Case 310G's? What is a good price to offer if the thing runs and operates good?

I have one. A little D-21A8. They're handy little sh!ts. Mine starts when it's super cold and will pull quite a bit for it's size. You can snake it through the woods like crazy. It's light enough that I've even driven it on top of dense snow. I pulled out 100 cords of full length birch without a log arch, just flat towing it with chokers on snow trails I made. Not much for real logging, but kick butt for firewood work. Of course, the D6N with 20 hrs on it I ran last week made it look like a toy.
Doug tell me more.......i have a chance to buy one reasonable, it has loader tracks on it. it is direct drive. would it be suitable for light road maintenance? does yours have a 6 way blade?

Well I can see that the majority of you think I need to go with something in the medium size. My problem is finding something that is not going to have to have a lowboy to pull it around with. I have a 1999 Ford F-250 Superduty Lariat 4X4 and a twenty foot 17,000lb dual axle bumper pull trailer. If I could find something that would not be to heavy for what I have available that would be great, that is why I was looking for something small. I see that in europe they have all kinds of small forestry machinery including Awosos Rubber tire skidders and small log loader/forwarders etc. I am not wanting to go full bore logging, I have been there when I was falling timber for a living. If you want to log full time you have to go big. I am out in the southwest and there is not alot of big timber to be cut unless you are working on a Indian reservation were you don't have to go by the Forest Circus rules. Down here the FS won't let you cut down anything bigger than 24" at breast height. I am strictly dooing small private land urban interface thinning to reduce the fire hazard, and it is not full time. I just recently have been getting alot of customers who are trying to prepare before the drought brings the fire danger back up the "extreme". Another matter I have to contend with is that alot of my customers are from the city and big logging equipment means high environmental impact and forest destruction if you know what I mean. You all know that this is not the case but city people have been brain washed into thinking that logging is an environmental demon. If you use words like "Thinning or Urban interface" it some how magically becomes good for the environment. Anyway, this is what I have found to be true.
back in the 40s and 50s small crawlers were the thing here.....cletrac, JD 1010 and the like. mostly they pulled a log arch. also they would go way back in the swamp where we can't work now and pull out huge piling and cypress.

Bubba study up on some small arches, easy to build and cheap compared to most options. Most small older crawlers are weak in the finals as far as weight carrying so the arch is a good match. With a good arch you can use most anything capable of pulling it. I've seen arches built for garden tractors to skid firewood. ATV arches are all over the internet. Ken

Thanks for the thought spindrift7mm, you got me thinking. I have a book titled "Caterpillar Earthmovers at Work" and it shows a few old photographs of cat D4's with pull behind log arches, pulling some pretty big bundles of logs up in British Columbia, Canada. Alot of the things they did back in the old days was pretty ingeniuos. People don't seem to have any common sense anymore and the inventions are not as plentyfull as back in the day.

i cut a tract a few years ago, was an old arch settin back there the scrappers never found. prolly 8' tall with a pto winch. i bet it sat there since the 50s at least.....had tires but spoke wheels. wish i took a pic.

Doug tell me more.......i have a chance to buy one reasonable, it has loader tracks on it. it is direct drive. would it be suitable for light road maintenance? does yours have a 6 way blade?
Mine isn't that old. I think the A8 models are the latest ones. It has a six way blade, what they call a hydroshift transmision, inching peddle and decelerator. Joystick on the left for F/R and steering and right hand joystick for the blade. 40Hp and easily towed behind a 1 ton truck. I've done a bunch of road maintenance with mine. Not great for building roads, but great for cleaning them up. Also pretty handy shoving crap around a landing.

Berger MK IV or MK VI... if memory serves.

One of the members here, and my memory is crap lately was playing forester for em last summer...

Waren't thinkin of me were ya Northy?

I got to work around these guys a little. One of the sharpest logger around. Mark VI Berger. 130 foot tower. I heard they were hung out somewhere around 4500 feet.

Another logger near me didn't have a tailhold where he needed it and would have had to hung a helluva long ways out so stretched a line between the hills and made one. called it a Skyhook. just threw a block on it. Realized he would be doing it from the get go and bid it accordingly. Saw pictures of it then the friend that was the contract admin on the job told me about. it.

The video should tell the weights of the cats.

Latest posts

Back