Gonna get me a Tractor!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya want sticker shock try pricing a used 4wd tractor in 200-250hp range. Wasn't on the needed list until the old IH 3588 developed a tick in the tranny. Only a couple chipped gears and a ring and pinion about ready for replacement.

every boy needs a steiger!

Ya want sticker shock try pricing a used 4wd tractor in 200-250hp range. Wasn't on the needed list until the old IH 3588 developed a tick in the tranny. Only a couple chipped gears and a ring and pinion about ready for replacement.

with *tracks*

Ya, I went internet window shopping for one...whoa doggies....

Still would be cool though, I bet I could park it out front here and sell rides in the thing!

I have an airstrip I mow...I could do it in one pass with some hugemongous gang mower!

yessirree, five minutes, DONE.

Build a camper on it! A four track RV!

man, every boy needs one....

Steiger® & Quadtrac® Series 4WD Tractor | Case IH

they need a dollars per minute run time gauge on them things....

Plenty of Steigers out there but most are setup for only tillage work. We need one that you can side dress with so you need narrower tires, axle duals, 3 pt and a pto. So that narrows you choices a bunch. And the hunt goes on.

Ford 3000 gas is listed as 35 HP. With a set of good tire chains on it handles the FEL with the wide 5 ft loader in the sand pit and plays with the snow. Added a 6.5 foot Ber Vac snow blower to it and it doers a nice job but the tractor would work even better with live power.

fordinsnow2.jpg

Put that same blower on My 5000 ford gas Dynoed at 57 HP with Live power and what a big difference. It will throw snow about 70 feet. the 5000 diesels sell in the area of 5 to 6 K very poplar tractors in diesel form since you can adjust the pump up into the80 HP range very easy. same basic engine as the Ford 7000 diesel.
Parts are easy to get for them also and not so hy tec as to make them hard to work on.

I also like my Allis Chalmbers D17 it has plenty of power for the job but one should look for the series 2 or above to get the 3 point hitch and nothave to monkey around making one .

:D Al

You can't beat the Ford 2,3,4,5,6,or 7000 series tractors with a stick. Dependable and plenty of parts available.

Well well well,, some interesting things. My neighbour has offered to buy an easement of the side of our property. He right on the line and would like to have a little buffer and extend his driveway in behind his garage. We're talking 10meters 70-80 meters. He'll pay for all the costs and get it surveyed and he'd give me cash! I'll never use that piece so I'm thinking about it. I've asked my uncle what he\d charge me to float the Backhoe down. I went and found some pictures from this summer, I forgot that the backhoe was 4x4 too!!

imgp3410vl.jpg

imgp3335h.jpg

There's a crowd called Artec that package Mahindras with Lawrimore trailers and a few attachments. Your trailer looks a bit like one of those so I thought maybe you had bought from those guys (a long shot, I know). I'm looking at buying a new Mahindra and wondering if I should buy from USA while our dollar is relatively high against the greenback, but it's quite a risk if anything went wrong.

Hard to beat the Allis 175 to 190 tractors also. I would also add in the Massey Ferguson 165 and ups, My brother has a 65 from the 60's he likes a lot too.

Bill, that's a nice lookin TLB. Just keep in mind that even with 4x4, mud is their achilles heel. Lots of weight on small tires with not a lot of ground clearance = easy to stick. On the bright side, between the bucket and the hoe, you have plenty of options for self extrication.

Hard to beat the Allis 175 to 190 tractors also. I would also add in the Massey Ferguson 165 and ups, My brother has a 65 from the 60's he likes a lot too.

I love my 180 MF, but the sore spot on these is that most of the parts you're gonna have to work on are internal. Brakes are inside the axles, 2 hydraulic pumps and 3 clutches (if ya have multi power) that require splits in 2 different places, etc. The Perkins diesels are bulletproof, but if the pump and injectors are worn, they're hard starters cold.

Like I said, I love mine, but I've got a lifetime of experience with it, so I know my way around it with a set of wrenches as well. Plenty of other machines are similar in PITA to work on, I'm just sayin what I know about mine.

The 100 series ACs were pretty popular around here as well, but I don't have any experience with them.

There's a crowd called Artec that package Mahindras with Lawrimore trailers and a few attachments. Your trailer looks a bit like one of those so I thought maybe you had bought from those guys (a long shot, I know). I'm looking at buying a new Mahindra and wondering if I should buy from USA while our dollar is relatively high against the greenback, but it's quite a risk if anything went wrong.

No not that package!! I really like mine. It took me a year to decide to finally sell the skid loader. I don't miss it at. I mean not at all. I had two skid loaders prior to the tractor. I have almost 50 hours on the tractor already and wood cutting season has not yet started. My skid loader had to be chained or running tracks to get around in the woods very well. The tractor is a tank and I like the loader being way out front for pushing brush. Yea our dollar tanked!!! UGGG What would you have to pay in taxes? I looked at
Kubota, JD and Kiota before deciding on the Mahindra. It is heavy and digs well. I have a tooth bar for it also.

I can almost Feel that Backhoe.. I decided to part out my Jeep and get some more cash. I've had it posted for about 5 hrs in a couple of the local 4x4 clubs and parts are a flying!! ahehehe

It's worth it, that is a very popular model and there is information and parts galore everywhere.

I'm trying to find one that needs work to get into my price range.

FYI, it is easy to get stuck with that thing, but the hoe has enough power to pick the ass end up and plant it out of the way. If you have any wet areas you will learn how to use your brain to control the loader and hoe at the same time to flip you out of tough spots.

It's worth it, that is a very popular model and there is information and parts galore everywhere.

I'm trying to find one that needs work to get into my price range.

FYI, it is easy to get stuck with that thing, but the hoe has enough power to pick the ass end up and plant it out of the way. If you have any wet areas you will learn how to use your brain to control the loader and hoe at the same time to flip you out of tough spots.

you mean like this

[video=youtube_share;qcupUY99xiY]http://youtu.be/qcupUY99xiY[/video]

Thats handy when you need it, but it is awful hard on the machine. All of that stress on the front arms and cyllinders can't be to good for it.

Kyle

Here's my daughter looking at daddy's new toy.

37395010150916672450105.jpg

Just waiting to get it picked up and brought down, I can't wait.

In celebration of my 1000th post I figured I'd bite the bullet and go get myself a Tractor. I was at the dealer and had my eye on a nice 50 hp M Series Kubota then I went inside and found out the price..

SOOOO.. In my real life I'll be lookign to spend about $5-6K on an older tractor.. I'm looking for 1 with a loader and I plan to put a blower on the back come winter. I know this is a loader question but I'm looking for advice on what to buy and what to stay away from. I know I know it's like a 16 year old asking a bunch of guys at the Bar what kind of car he should buy! But I'm know crap about tractors, all I know is I want a good make so I can buy parts when the 40 Yr/old thing breaks down.

I'm calling a guy tomorrow about a 75' International , 60 hp with a loader. I wouldn't even know how to turn it on. If I go to look at it I'll bring help!~:eek:uttahere2:

Did you look at that Tractors from Northern Tools? Yes there are Foreign made but from what I hear they are reliable and less expensive. Just throwing this out there for an idea.:rock:

In celebration of my 1000th post I figured I'd bite the bullet and go get myself a Tractor. I was at the dealer and had my eye on a nice 50 hp M Series Kubota then I went inside and found out the price..

SOOOO.. In my real life I'll be lookign to spend about $5-6K on an older tractor.. I'm looking for 1 with a loader and I plan to put a blower on the back come winter. I know this is a loader question but I'm looking for advice on what to buy and what to stay away from. I know I know it's like a 16 year old asking a bunch of guys at the Bar what kind of car he should buy! But I'm know crap about tractors, all I know is I want a good make so I can buy parts when the 40 Yr/old thing breaks down.

I'm calling a guy tomorrow about a 75' International , 60 hp with a loader. I wouldn't even know how to turn it on. If I go to look at it I'll bring help!~:eek:uttahere2:

:chainsaw:PROBABLY MORE THAN YOU WISH TO SPEND BUT AGAIN, I THROW THIS OUT THERE.
FREE SHIPPING — NorTrac 40XT 40 HP 4WD Tractor with Loader & Backhoe
FREE SHIPPING — NorTrac 40XT 40HP 4WD Tractor with Loader
FREE SHIPPING — NorTrac 40XT 40HP 4WD Tractor
5 out of 5 5 / 5
Not yet rated
Not yet rated
Item# 511322
Item# 511222
Item# 511122

Only $25,999.99
Only $18,999.99
Only $13,999.99