Gonna try growing a garden this year.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Decided what to plant and made a blueprint on where to plant what. Got the soil test back and it recommended a split application of nitrogen and potassium. Will get the seeds this week and hopefully plant the irish potatoes this weekend. After tilling of course. What am I leaving out?

You are leaving out a whole bunch of other veggiesd! LOL

What else are you going to plant? How big of a garden are you doing?

Varmit fence (or even better a trusty dog).

Plan B for water. Drip tape + auto timer had good luck with that over the years. Used to be a good store down in NC for that stuff. Nice folks and fair prices.

Only other thing is a bunch of kids for weeding, ha ha!

Decided what to plant and made a blueprint on where to plant what. Got the soil test back and it recommended a split application of nitrogen and potassium. Will get the seeds this week and hopefully plant the irish potatoes this weekend. After tilling of course. What am I leaving out?
try your cucumbers on a cattle panel at the edge of the garden .
you can pick and not get in the mud , no white sides from laying on the ground and it only takes 4" X16' of space up in the garden

I got the potatoes and onions planted today. Spinach will go in the ground either tomorrow or Monday. Thanks for the tip hedge hog and everybody else. So far so good. No stranger to pulling weeds. My dad had an ornamental nursery when I was in high school.

Herbs. Garlic, chives, rosemary and real butter can fix up home grown home fries pretty good. Dry and put up in pint jars for the winter season. Lot cheaper than buying those spendy little tins in the store.

I built 4 raised garden beds this year. 2 12'x4', 9'x4', and an 8'x4' plus we have a 25'x7' flower bed we planted last year. Should be a decent amount of plants for the girls to take care of.

mine is 65' X45"
everything is on 30" centers so you can get a 18"tiller between the rows.
like Del_ said 4 rows min. of corn !
spread them 10 to 14 days apart so your don't harvesting all at once
more than one breed seed make sure to plant shorter term first , so there not cross pollinating (makes it tough to eat)
I plant 4 rows of a super sweet that is 90 day at the same time I plant 4 more rows of 112 day
192.JPG

cucumbers on cattle panels work great !
211.JPG

I did 39' the first year I tried it on panels ,,,,, way to much produce!!!!!
the next year did it at the edge of the garden and only 16' long and no mud on my shoes picking.

208.JPG

you can see I didn't have the 4 row min. this year but got away with it because the hedge row is south of the garden and protects it from strong winds and swirls the air around and I did have great pollination that year.
but use 4 rows the years after.
hot wire is for cats and rabbits and a radio in the chick coop playing 27/7 will keep coons and deer away from the sweet corn.
they don't like human voices.

At peak cantaloupe harvest we scoop them out with an ice cream scoop and freeze in one gallon zip lock bags. Thaw and eat over the winter. Doesn't taste just like fresh but is darn good! We did about ten gallons last year and will do more this year. Be sure to taste test as you are scooping each melon. If it isn't the best, compost it!
that's a good idea and I will have to try it, have you tried it with vacuum seal bags?
it makes a difference on corn and would only do 6 dozen or so with vac bags do 30 or more dozen in 1 gallon zip locks .
the corn freezer burns after 6 - 8 months and if it's not all eat up it goes to the chickens but the vac bags will well over a year .

Latest posts

Back