Gonna try growing a garden this year.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the potatoes in on st patty day and I alwsys plant my green beans in withe the corn so they grow up the corn stalks. Helps save from another couple rows of weeding lol

I HATE weeding, so I do VERY LITTLE of it! It's MUCH better to just mulch in all three of my gardens! Here's last years front garden,

standard.jpg

And, here's last years back garden,

standard.jpg

In the fall, I till all the mulch in, to feed "next" years crops, as I don't use any chemical ferts at all...

SR

Long, cold winter and cool, wet spring in a lot of places made for belownormal soil temps.
60-65 soil temp is good sprouting - seed germination. if the soil is well drained and they are cert seed,
probly be ok. might dig a couple and check for root hairs starting.
NC has a really good State U for Ag. Here's a link that has map of air soil water data
http://nc-climate.ncsu.edu/map/?table=daily

Good luck with the garden mate. Making a garden for first time will be surely memorable and exciting, so enjoy your time. I can advise you to be very careful with pests and inspect your garden regularly. If you are suspicious about any bug or critter, try to take a picture or something. Some pests can devastate your garden for just a week.

Colorado potato larvae are all over my potato sprouts. What can I do to control these pests?

Have had good luck with BT. san diego variant seems to get the Colorado beetle in early larva stage. Hits squash bug larva as well - It is work getting a drench under leaves where eggs are hatching. Speader-sticker really helps (stuff can be spending. ivory soap does ok, not anti bacterial, lol). Local extension should have good info on BT use in area.

Yep; hand picking is the best remedy. Take along a cup or of soapy water to drop them in. Happy picking.

Back