Good/Bad weekend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJR

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Good – I finished the milling the logs for my hunting camp expect for two Ash logs. I didn’t think I needed them and got them off the ground for storage. Good – My wife is now interested in the camp and wants a small four foot covered porch (cool). Bad/good – I need to drop more trees and do some more milling. Good/bad- My wife says she wants to help now. Good- extra help is always welcomed. Bad- she will see my skill level first hand. Bad – went to pull some Maple out to make a ramp for our dock and it was molded. Not sure what happened. The Cherry on the stack was good and the Ash and Spruce within feet where fine. More air was needed. Good- the Cherry on the ramp will look really good for a couple of years. Good/Good- the wife is happy with the milling!!!!!!!

Good – I finished the milling the logs for my hunting camp expect for two Ash logs. I didn’t think I needed them and got them off the ground for storage. Good – My wife is now interested in the camp and wants a small four foot covered porch (cool). Bad/good – I need to drop more trees and do some more milling. Good/bad- My wife says she wants to help now. Good- extra help is always welcomed. Bad- she will see my skill level first hand. Bad – went to pull some Maple out to make a ramp for our dock and it was molded. Not sure what happened. The Cherry on the stack was good and the Ash and Spruce within feet where fine. More air was needed. Good- the Cherry on the ramp will look really good for a couple of years. Good/Good- the wife is happy with the milling!!!!!!!

All told it sounds like a good weekend.:cheers:

:ices_rofl: Nice write up.

I tried to get some milling in this weekend but house remodeling and rain got in the way.:(

Maybe this evening... if the daily thunderstorm holds off...

:ices_rofl: Nice write up.

I enjoyed that too.

Curious how your maple was stacked. How far off the ground and did it have good air flow out of the way of other foliage? Maple (soft maple) along with beech and some others do tend to rot and get nasty before oak, cherry or walnut.

HEY... be glad your wife wants to be involved in milling. :rock:

HEY... be glad your wife wants to be involved in milling. :rock:

Yup- I used to count on my wife helping out as a go-fer and stacking assistant but... a 2 1/2 year old and another on the way kinda ruined that... well, at least for the next few years.:biggrinbounce2:

The Maple was on the bottom of the stack and I forgot to place rubber matting under the stack. I should have used a fan and placed the stack on 4”by4”s… I ran a couple of boards through the planner and it took most of the mold off. I deemed too much work (It caught me in a bad mood – a day after milling for 13hrs and the wife changing “my” plans for the camp) so it went to the fire wood pile. Following is the only pictures I could find. As you can see I got what I put into it.
IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

Yup- I used to count on my wife helping out as a go-fer and stacking assistant but... a 2 1/2 year old and another on the way kinda ruined that... well, at least for the next few years.:biggrinbounce2:

Ah yes, but only temporarily...Once those kids are older and they see all the toys- I mean- tools you have they'll be begging to help. Extra hands for help, and fun with the kids. Heck, I'm still a kid at heart...put me on that track loader you have and you'd have to fight me to get off.

Ah yes, but only temporarily...Once those kids are older and they see all the toys- I mean- tools you have they'll be begging to help. Extra hands for help, and fun with the kids. Heck, I'm still a kid at heart...put me on that track loader you have and you'd have to fight me to get off.

I see this in my 2 1/2 YO already. She almost always wants to help Daddy with something. One of her favorite activities is "playing logs" which consists of sitting in my lap while I move/ stack them with the loader. I hope her interest holds.:cheers:

I see this in my 2 1/2 YO already. She almost always wants to help Daddy with something. One of her favorite activities is "playing logs" which consists of sitting in my lap while I move/ stack them with the loader. I hope her interest holds.:cheers:

You got the big equipment out in the yard..... what kid doesn't want to operate them?.... you just have to remember to get out of the way!

Back