Good dealer.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to explain Ben.
I just know my dad just built a new house 1900 sq ft and went total propane, Heat, Stove, Water heater, etc and was using a max of $150 a month Dec-Jan in propane and his years totals usually stay between $600-$900 for the years use in Ohio.

Maybe in Ohio....Are you sure your not talking about natural gas?
A friend of mine just built a house last year about the size of mine and and ran into the same thing with propane. About $600+ for the coldest months.
Asa comparison I think my FIL pays about $170 per month for his natural gas year round on a budget. His house is also only 1200sq , but not as well insulated as mine.

Nope its propane. Something is up, up there, because they even keep it so hot in the house that i cant breath. :dizzy:
We cant get NG or cable in the sticks.

When I bought propane, until around 2.5 years ago. I bought in bulk during the summer. Paid $.82 a gallon and it only cost me around a grand a month in the winter. 6k square feet built in 1972. Had more glass than a 50cent concert. Was built to look similar in design to the E. Fay Jones designed Country Club less than a mile away.

BTW that was a restuarant and EVERYTHING was gas. Grills and fryers going 90+ hrs a week.

Don't know how much wood costs here. Never bought any.:D

Fred

Propane cost over $2 per gallon now.
To be exact I just got my propane tank filled that runs my cook stove and cloths dryer and it cost exactly 147.94 for 57 gallons.
If you guys would like I can provide documentation from the gas company on what it would take to heat my house with propane and what the previous owner payed in propane.

Last edited:
Propane cost over $2 per gallon now.

Do you at least get a kiss with that Ben? Jeez.......... think they would at least throw in a jar of vaseline for ya!!! Not sure what propane is going for around here, but nobody could afford it at that! Makes all electric sound good right now.

Not me, I saw the previous owners bills and bought a wood boiler, so i never had to got through a winter using propane. I also no longer have the 500 gallon tank in my yard.

I saw the previous owners gas bill also when I bought my home, and had to put a 350$ deposit down to the gas company when I moved in! that was 13 years ago! Most of that was for the garage as he worked out of it So in went my first wood stove! Now I have two plus the fireplace and pay around 50.00$ a month for winter heating My neighbor's pay at least 130.00 a month for there house. Plus if we did'nt burn wood what would we use are saw's for!

Propane is $2/gal here too. I heat my 1500sf house with a single wood stove. That keeps the winter propane bill down to $70-$80 per month. Most of that is probably the propane clothes dryer, two boys 4 and 6 yrs old create a lot of dirty clothes in the winter! Range/Oven and water heater are also propane.

My neighbors have a house similar to mine and their last propane bill was $600. I notice their son son started cutting wood shortly after that. :hmm3grin2orange:
Luckily my cousin has a 2000 acre ranch and lets me cut whatever I want gratis. He gets the windfalls cleared and I get the wood, so its a good trade.
Brad

Electric would heat would kill your bank account asap in upper MI.
I heat with electric baseboard running on offpeak and its extremely reasonable. I also have a propane furnace and wall heater to use when the offpeak is shutoff. I think our climates are fairly comparable and I pay an extra $100 per month (on average) for electricity during the winter months, and about $50 per month for propane at $1.79 a gallon. My house is about 2k sq ft.

Just got off phone with the pops. He said propane cost him over $2 a gallon also and the last fill was close to $600 also, but stated that fill last for several months. it comes out of your pocket for 1 month but last for several months after. so $600 by how many months you get out of a tank full. He said he averaged $50-$75 a month when he put it to a monthly budget one year.

Judging by the previous owners bill I would be at or above $600 for several months of the year..... No thanks.
Even at the outrageous price of wood the last few years I am still way ahead.
Brad, you are the only one I know of that claims electric heat is cheap.
I have electric heat at my place in Canada and when its in use it cost a arm and a leg.

Last edited:
I heat with in floor wirsbo/electric off peak, 2520 sq. feet including the attached garage witch is kept at 60. -----nov., dec., jan. our bill averaged 112.56 per month, cheap way to heat but maybe all states don't offer off peak.

Judging by the previous owners bill I would be at or above $600 for several months of the year..... No thanks.
Even at the outrageous price of wood the last few years I am still way ahead.
Brad, you are the only one I know of that claims electric heat is cheap.
I have electric heat at my place in Canada and when its in use it cost a arm and a leg.
Not all states offer off peak heat, but I'm pretty certain michigan does. With off peak i'm paying 25% of the normal per kw/h price so it is cheap. Electric heat is real common around here and since the rise in fuel costs its becoming an even more economical way to heat. I assume your paying full rate for your electric heat up in canada (i assume electricity is expensive in canada too). So I'd don't think its a very good measuring stick of what it costs to heat with electricity.

I dont think we have off peak power. At least the bill in front of me makes no mention of it.
You may have to call your power company to find out if they offer it. I looked and it is available in michigan, but not sure what power company you have.

Latest posts

Back