Good small, light, rear handle saw? ~30cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I grew up using a Mac 130, but it died. Might scrounge up another for sentiment, but dealer says parts no longer available. I’d like small and light, with the “rear top handle” like the Mac.

Looked at some cheap homeowner Stihls at the only saw shop around, not sure if they’re worth messing with.

Looking at a used Jonsy 2139. I saw a Brad Snelling video of one that was pretty impressive. Enough power to pull a whole 14” bar in a small package would be nice.

I’m an occasional user, but prefer at least farm/ranch quality.

Are there good reputable places to buy used pro saws?

Input appreciated. Thanks

You want a "Top Handle" if you want a Mac 130 like saw. Rear Handle saw - it sticks out the back. Echo CS-330T or Zenoah/Redmax G2500 are options.

Some top handles force your right hand fwd and close to your left such as stihl. I think the air cleaner is in the base of the handle. The Mac and Jonsy 2139 do not. The CS303 does not either. I wish Echo would give hp numbers. Right now the 2139 looks like the winner against stihl, echo. MS150 true rear handle is kinda interesting.

I will also endorse Echo. But I wouldn't overlook the MS170. A couple buddies have these and they seem decent and can be picked up fairly cheap. The MS250 is also a good runner but a hair bigger than you want.

Some top handles force your right hand fwd and close to your left such as stihl. I think the air cleaner is in the base of the handle. The Mac and Jonsy 2139 do not. The CS303 does not either. I wish Echo would give hp numbers. Right now the 2139 looks like the winner against stihl, echo. MS150 true rear handle is kinda interesting.
Here are Echo's numbers....I can't take the credit another member put them up (I just forgot who:crazy: will give credit).

http://www.echotools.com/products/category/contents_type=26

Hope this helps the OP an.d others

BR,

~TW

The 2139 is 39cc. It has a 31mm stroke longer than anything else in that class lately. I would recommend that, depending on who owned it and how they or their assistants used it. Battery might be considered as well. Kind of amazing how my assistants will pick up the battery one instead of a gasoline one, at least as long as it has a charge.

Stihl 170s are nice, I have a 017 which is just the older model. I would look at a small Dolmar/Makita though. They are nice saws that have more pro-saw like features than other brands in the same price range. I'm working on a Dolmar 420 (42cc) and it seems to have a nicer feel and more nimble handling than my 017 does. Don't get me wrong, I love stihl, but I think so far that Dolmar makes a nicer small cc saw.

Echo 361p (it's the well respected 355t in a rear handle version)

Or any Stihl T handle (150,193, 201) come in a "c-e"rear handle version. 193 is the ~30cc range you requested and is the least expensive out of those three.

Been hearing great stuff about Stihl 241 c-m. Have yet to hold one, but it's their smallest and lightest (9.9 lb PHW) pro series saw. It's 42cc, but the weight ain't bad for a 3 hp saw.

Thanks for the echo link. They have some interesting lightweight little saws.

Leaning pretty hard towards the Jonsered 2139. 2.3 hp that reportedly responds well to a muffler mod. 7.7 lbs, and the only bitty saw I've come across rated for a 16" bar. Might have it shipped straight to Mr. Snelling for a checkup and warm-up. I have a feeling it might keep my 2050 on the shelf more.

I have a an echo cs370. Its great for stuff under 12 " and weighs less than 10 lbs. It's been a very reliable saw for me, and I picked it up for just $150.

for lowest price and still good quality dolmar/Makita saws are the cats meow ..... the 420/421 saws are sweet... I hear the echo saws are nice also never owned one but have ran a 590 timber wolf nice saw ...of course the Husqvarna/jonsered and stihl saws are of quality but are more $ ............. those are 40cc in the 30cc range the 350/351 dolmar

Leaning pretty hard towards the Jonsered 2139. 2.3 hp that reportedly responds well to a muffler mod. 7.7 lbs, and the only bitty saw I've come across rated for a 16" bar. Might have it shipped straight to Mr. Snelling for a checkup and warm-up. I have a feeling it might keep my 2050 on the shelf more.

That is essentially a Husqvarna 338xpt after that model was discontinued. There was a time that for California there were special Husqvarna models that were around 45cc. I do not think they were rated for more power as delivered but there seem to be the top end kits on ebay and through various dealers with an on line function.

Latest posts

Back