Got a good load

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got a good load of Doug fir last weekend, about 2 cords in the truck. I was hoping to back up to the mountains his weekend for more, but work and the weather had other ideas. I need to get back up there at least one more time before the snow stops me for the year20161023_172116.jpg
20161023_171930.jpg

I grant you that there's air gaps between the blocks, but the load measured 8x6x5. 5' high on the level, if you look at the crown of the load it measures more like 6 1/2'. So at 8x6x5 that equals 240' and 2 cords is 256' so it's a tad short. The forest circus doesn't give 2 ***** about air gaps when they're measuring the load, if it measures 2 cords, then it better be tagged as such or its a $200 ticket. If I had the time I would sit and split all of the blocks and then stuff them in to fill the air gaps, but I didn't have the time. Maybe when I go up next time I'll do it little better job for you guys.

I grant you that there's air gaps between the blocks, but the load measured 8x6x5. 5' high on the level, if you look at the crown of the load it measures more like 6 1/2'. So at 8x6x5 that equals 240' and 2 cords is 256' so it's a tad short. The forest circus doesn't give 2 ***** about air gaps when they're measuring the load, if it measures 2 cords, then it better be tagged as such or its a $200 ticket. If I had the time I would sit and split all of the blocks and then stuff them in to fill the air gaps, but I didn't have the time. Maybe when I go up next time I'll do it little better job for you guys.
! not to worry! it is all good and where it should be as long as you are the doing/paying for the heat not us! just an example of the differences between stacked load and thrown in loads to compare with.... my box is 7.5x3.75x10.5 feet=295 (plus what's over the top) cubic feet as I figure 320 for a 2 cord load .

! not to worry! it is all good and where it should be as long as you are the doing/paying for the heat not us! just an example of the differences between stacked load and thrown in loads to compare with.... my box is 7.5x3.75x10.5 feet=295 (plus what's over the top) cubic feet as I figure 320 for a 2 cord load .
I get that, I've just come out of the hills with a load that I considered measured at 1 1/2 cords and the forest circus check station measured it and said it was 2 cords, they wrote me a $200 ticket. And yeah these guys here have been setting up firewood check stations for the last couple years, it's pretty ridiculous.

I get that, I've just come out of the hills with a load that I considered measured at 1 1/2 cords and the forest circus check station measured it and said it was 2 cords, they wrote me a $200 ticket. And yeah these guys here have been setting up firewood check stations for the last couple years, it's pretty ridiculous.
I hear that! back in the early 80's in Washington state (wet side) "DONT MOVE HERE" there was a outfit that was called woodfinders, they charged 20.00 for a permit that was good for a single cord. if stopped and measured more you had a fine or throw it off? wonder where that went to ? jonny on the spot, and if you were checked they watched you like your a thief!!! holes didn't matter either inch is an inch as a cubic foot!

I hear that! back in the early 80's in Washington state (wet side) "DONT MOVE HERE" there was a outfit that was called woodfinders, they charged 20.00 for a permit that was good for a single cord. if stopped and measured more you had a fine or throw it off? wonder where that went to ? jonny on the spot, and if you were checked they watched you like your a thief!!! holes didn't matter either inch is an inch as a cubic foot!

It's getting pretty bad here. Gotta get a permit from the forest circus of course, and it's $25 for a 2 cord minimum, then they set up mandatory check stations and the forest Rangers check everything from spark arrestor, 2 0 shovel, fire extinguisher, and measure the load to make sure you're tagged properly. They've gotten worse than the fish and game looking for poachers during hunting season.

Some areas require you to get a permit and then you can harvest a specified amount of wood.

Some places it's dead and downed. Others it's standing dead. Others it's standing live. And others it's to cut up tops piles left by loggers. Really varies.

We have permits to scrounge tops after state land is harvested but it's not policed at all. I've never needed to go that route as you can gather all the dead /downded from non government land you need.

Got a good load of Doug fir last weekend, about 2 cords in the truck. I was hoping to back up to the mountains his weekend for more, but work and the weather had other ideas. I need to get back up there at least one more time before the snow stops me for the yearView attachment 534358
View attachment 534359
Good haul. Some nice buckskin in there. Up this way it's $20 for 4 cord. They need to open up some more damn gates though.

Ive never heard of any of that. Of course i live in illinois , very small town, i dont understand the permits for firewood can someone explain.

These permits are to harvest wood on public land. State or national forests, etc. They come with varying prices, guidelines, and regulations depending on where you're cutting. Permits are usually pretty cheap.

I guess they exist in the Midwest, but there's not nearly as much public land, so it's not nearly as common. Seems like in Wisconsin anyway, most scroungers cut on properties owned friends or relatives.

It didn't used to be such a big deal here, we'd get a permit and cut as much as we could use and be done. There wasn't really any restrictions on areas to cut either, but like I said, it's gotten pretty bad. $25 for 2 cord isn't bad price wise, It beats paying someone else $175 a cord. I just hate being treated like a criminal when I come through the check station, especially when I've been doing everything right.

Nice load of red fir. It's 5-6$ a cord for permits here from forest service. Can get free permits for state land. Usually not very picky on either one, supposed to be dead & down. Between the windstorms & beetles it's pretty easy pickings.

I understand now, yeah where im from there isnt much public land exept for state parks. But around here you know just abput everyone so i can pretty well get as much as i need for free

I understand now, yeah where im from there isnt much public land exept for state parks. But around here you know just abput everyone so i can pretty well get as much as i need for free
I went to check,, in a public park not far from me.. mostly downed oaks,, some hickory. them dumb assed park rangers,, said we leave it lay for wildlife habitat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! brain dead overeducated zeros........

Back