Got a Granberg, have ?'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

precaud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I got a Granberg File-N-Joint and finally set it up for some 91VX (30 degrees, no tilt). Used the granny on one side, and used my normal file guide on the other. Did 3-4 strokes per tooth, and I must say, I don't feel any difference in sharpness. Am I missing something?

I'm thinking perhaps it will be more useful on a chain that requires a 10% tilt, which is harder to eyeball and keep consistent than a perpendicular angle, yes?

I have used the Granberg jig and use it every few hand filings. I feel like the biggest benefit to the system is that it will help make all the teeth the same size and thus height. Just like other kinds of saws, the tallest teeth are doing all the work and anything shorter is just gliding through the wood for free. You will be most efficient if all the teeth on the chain were the same height, which is impossible to do by hand and eye. The individual tooth may not be sharper than you get it by hand.

I use a bar mounted guide for my ripping chains and I believe that the biggest benefit from it is accuracy. I can do a pretty decent sharpening job by hand but getting the angles all the same by hand is sometimes difficult for me. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back