Got a Job on 04-04-09 and need Opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
theres your oppourtunity to start a buisness. buy a stihl and start from there, if you end up not using the saw to often then sell it. a stihl will sell way before a homelite or any other homeowner brand will.

Poulans

Greetings!

Fine bunch of folks here with lots of good info to help you out!

I know I'm going to get lambasted for this but I am the proud owner of 2 Poulans (no wild things!) One a small woodshark/predator series and another 'pro' 4218.. I buy em cheap at Princess Auto (similar to Harbour Frieght in USA) re-conned for about $75CDN (appx $50 bux USD). I go through them before I buy and get the ones with the most new parts, after I get 'em home I take em apart and tweak and mod a bit and set the carbs up for my location. They tend to set 'em way too lean for EPA reasons I guess.. I run 'em on 100ll avgas (Im an aircraft guy by trade) and good synthetic amsoil 2-stroke at 36:1 mix. I use up the homeowner chains and replace with good oregon or stihl non 'safety' chain. I used to work for a tree company but now only for firewood.
The little green bastard will start in less than 5 pulls every time and once idling I could set it down, go for lunch and it would still be going when I got back! I maintain 'em well (again, aircraft guy ) and tear down inspections reveal pristine slug and jug. No problems with 'occasional' use, but I work 'em hard when I do. Many cords of firewood cut and lots of trees taken down dead standing (all we are allowed here, by permit) some twice as big as bar size (16+18" inch bars) I love to see how far I can go "on the cheap"! Remember though that price is initial and cost= price over time. So far no problems!!

Just my 2-cents!

Dan:biggrinbounce2:

2 Pull-skis
Old51AVE ("project resurrection" Older than Jesus saw)

Greetings!

I know I'm going to get lambasted for this but I am the proud owner of 2 Poulans (no wild things!) One a small woodshark/predator series and another 'pro' 4218.. I buy em cheap at Princess Auto (similar to Harbour Frieght in USA) re-conned for about $75CDN (appx $50 bux USD). I go through them before I buy and get the ones with the most new parts, after I get 'em home I take em apart and tweak and mod a bit and set the carbs up for my location. They tend to set 'em way too lean for EPA reasons I guess.. I run 'em on 100ll avgas (Im an aircraft guy by trade) and good synthetic amsoil 2-stroke at 36:1 mix. I use up the homeowner chains and replace with good oregon or stihl non 'safety' chain. I used to work for a tree company but now only for firewood.
The little green bastard will start in less than 5 pulls every time and once idling I could set it down, go for lunch and it would still be going when I got back! I maintain 'em well (again, aircraft guy ) and tear down inspections reveal pristine slug and jug. No problems with 'occasional' use, but I work 'em hard when I do. Many cords of firewood cut and lots of trees taken down dead standing (all we are allowed here, by permit) some twice as big as bar size (16+18" inch bars) I love to see how far I can go "on the cheap"! Remember though that price is initial and cost= price over time. So far no problems!!

Just my 2-cents!

Dan:biggrinbounce2:

2 Pull-skis
Old51AVE ("project resurrection" Older than Jesus saw)

You're one of the few that has had good luck with Poulans. I bought a Woodshark when I was 17 years old and couldn't get the thing to stay running. I used my stepfather's Pro and it just didn't have any power to it half way through a cut.

re: Pull-ski's

Thanks!

I like to think that things can and should be all that they can be and sometimes more!
I'm totally anal about everything I do, comes from being an aircraft guy, I guess! The pilot's are only responsible for the people in the back, I have to make shure the whole shooting match goes out and comes back again so I can send it out the next day and the next, etc...
Now I realize that they are not the BEST saws out there, when I was working for the tree company we used to do everything from huge hydro clearence projects to 'urban logging' to removals and trims etc. I have run all types and brands of saws from litle top handles to huge Stihls and huskys with big 'ol 'salmon belly' bars! But for the money I can't complain with the lil pull-skis!

Thanks again and sorry for hi-jacking the thread!

Good luck on your project, Will, whatever you decide on and don't forget the PPE!!

Dan:spam:

2 Pull-skis
Old51AVE ("project resurrection" Older Than Jesus saw)

My first saw was a Poulan, bought used. I don't know which model. It ran good when I bought it.

Not much later, I decided a bow saw was much less work than starting that thing. Its a wonder I ever bought another chainsaw. In fact, the next chainsaw I bought was electric, which was fine when we had one acre and used a couple of cords a year.

I bought a Homelight 330, and that thing has never failed me in 20 years of hard use. I made the mistake of using a couple of Stihls, so I came here for more information on my next saw, a used Stihl 041av I found at an auction.

I currenty own a nice little Homelite Super-2 which has been sitting for several years. Not to mention it's discontinued, so I'm giving it to my stepfather. Reason being there's no Service Center within 5 miles of where I live. Plus it would cost about $100 to get it serviced. After doing some budgeting I won't be able to afford the Stihl with case and oil. I'm going to run over to Home Depot and get a Homelite which includes a case and purchade some oil for $130 plus tax.

It's hard living on $674 a month. I have rent, bills, groceries, misc items, and medication to buy. Add to that fact that I live alone.

Hard Livin'

You sound like a cool guy Will, doing what you can with what you got and still some left over to look ahead to the future! Stay safe so we can all continue to enjoy your posts!
Good luck with the Homie, homie!
Maybe one day you'll get to that old Super-2!

Dan

2 Pull-skis
Old51AVE ("project resurrection" Older Than Jesus saw)

Go to home depot and ask if they have any of the rental saws that are ready for sale. HD corporate dropped a ruling that they can only charge 189 dollars for a rental saw when it is time to sell it. They have 3 ready to go down at my local HD rental and the guy has two reserved for me so I can see what t will take to kill a dolmar.

Just rent that nice powerful 64cc Makita/Dolmar from Home Despot.
Run it for a day, and take it back. One time use is what rentals are for.

If you want to have a saw to keep after this but don't think you'll use it much, get a Ryobi 10532 from CPO Ryobi for $99.95. It's twice the saw that a Wild Thing is.

If you want a brand new saw, not a rental, but don't need to keep it, buy a Stihl MS-170 or MS-180, and put it on eBay as "brand new last week (have receipt), used once to cut down a couple of trees" and get back 80-110% of your purchase price.

MSN-TV2 doesn't allow me to get on E-Bay for some reason. Everytime I try the MSN-TV2 unit will restart. Plus I don't have a vehicle so I don't have a way of getting it to the UPS Store in Waterloo. My mother is picking me up to take me to Niles, Michigan.

I'm still considering going for broke and buying the Stihl MS-170 for $190.

If you plan on selling it buy the stihl
If you plan on keeping it buy an echo
And buy from a dealer not hd or lowes

We're all wasting our time here. Will had his mind set on that cute little cheap STIHL from the get go.

Greetings!

I know I'm going to get lambasted for this but I am the proud owner of 2 Poulans (no wild things!) SNIP

I won't lambast you. My first saw was a Poulan 2150 16", less than $100 new. I bought a Stihl MS290 (didn't know it was heavy and underpowered until I found this site) when I ran into some oaks I couldn't get through with the Poulan going from both sides. But before that I used the Poulan to limb and buck 10 or 12 locusts and sassafrass that I could just barely get past the middle, and plenty more smaller trees. I thought I had ruined the saw once and took it to a repair shop. The guy said the clutch was fried and the oiler was broken, no point in fixing it, not worth the price of parts. So I figured I might as well learn something by taking it apart. I learned that the clutch was fine, but the sprocket was badly worn and its bearing had seized. And that the oiler popped right out and was a $14 part. $35 later the 2150 still lives, and is the saw I reach for to whap off a limb or cut a sapling. It starts with three pulls to pop and two pulls after that.

Will, if you're looking for affirmation to buy the best saw you can afford, you've come to the right place. I've lurked here for a while, and there are some serious lovers of chain saws to help with your choice. You sound young. Buying a chain saw because you love them and saving only enough cash for mix and bar oil is a young man's move, bless your heart. You could do a skinny pine and some brush with a bow saw (hand saw) and a hatchet, of course. Or a rental, as has been very sensibly suggested. But you want a chain saw; very well. There are far worse things to want, and it's said often enough that when you buy a fine tool you only cry once.

But if you buy a chain saw because you love it you won't be able to stand not to use it, or to sell it because the job is done. A neighbor will need this cut and a friend will need that. You'll have a saw, but nothing else. My suggestion is to spend $100-120 on a saw (cheap new or decent used), $50 on chaps, $40 on a hardhat/face guard/muffs, $20 on a chain file/guide set, and the rest on oil. Ebay can be a good place for this stuff if you need it to hit your price points. You probably have work gloves. Before too long, you'll have an opportunity to make a few bucks when you help someone clear some property, or buck up a tree that fell on someone's driveway, and you can buy the saw you really want. But anyone who spends enough time around trees and saws will eventually have an "incident." Something will fall the wrong way, something will snap back, something will pinch. The idea is to fulfill your statistical obligations without getting killed.

No, I wouldn't have done it this way when I was your age. And when I bought my Poulan 2150 I didn't buy chaps and a hard hat. But I have them now, and somebody's got to say it.

Jack

Last edited:
Back