Got a Lot of Large Rounds to Split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawnami

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've got about 50 rounds of white oak 16" to 24" in diameter. I don't own a splitter and usually rent a 22 ton from our local rental store. Do you think that it can handle splitting rounds that big? It worked good splitting 10" to 16" elm the last time that I rented one from them.

I've got about 50 rounds of white oak 16" to 24" in diameter. I don't own a splitter and usually rent a 22 ton from our local rental store. Do you think that it can handle splitting rounds that big? It worked good splitting 10" to 16" elm the last time that I rented one from them.

50 rounds? Unless you have physical limitations a maul, sledge and couple wedges will handle that job easily.

The one you are thinking of renting should be more than capable of doing the owrk.

Harry K

Splitter?

If the splitter goes vertical as well as horizontal you should have no problem. I split rounds over 30" pretty regularly with my splitter.

MarkG

if you are in decent shape, a maul, wedge, and sledge are all you need. i split a very large maple tree a couple of months ago that way. a lot of work. then i split a red oak and a chestnut oak, again with the same tools, and found the oak to be a lot easier.

if you are in decent shape, a maul, wedge, and sledge are all you need. i split a very large maple tree a couple of months ago that way. a lot of work. then i split a red oak and a chestnut oak, again with the same tools, and found the oak to be a lot easier.

wasn't that maple kinda "stringy" when you split it? i just took one down myself and what a pain to split.

not sure what kind of maple it was as i had no leaves, but i didn't find it "stringy". in fact the straight pieces that had no branches coming off were really easy to split- had some nice 24" lengths. i had big problems splitting with the knots and branch areas and have about 7-8 pieces i need to take to a splitter. i found the chestnut oak to be very stringy, but still not a pain to split.

Like everyone has said before use the good old maul and sledge which will always work. Since I'm often short on time I've opted for a gas splitter that can either be used vertical or horizontal. What I have found is that it is easier to cut the big rounds 20 inches or better into quarters then split them. I found this to be faster and easier on my back. Not a big fan of splitting the big rounds vertically according to my aching back. But then again I'm a weekend warrior not as tough as I once was. :(

Thanks for the replies! I split a few of the rounds tonight after work. They aren't too bad to split unless they have a knot or two in them. I'm up for a hip replacement so I don't know if it would be harder to wrestle them into a splitter or just use a maul and a couple of wedges.

Thanks for the replies! I split a few of the rounds tonight after work. They aren't too bad to split unless they have a knot or two in them. I'm up for a hip replacement so I don't know if it would be harder to wrestle them into a splitter or just use a maul and a couple of wedges.

BTDT on the hip replacement. I have two and don't even know they are there. My doc never did give me any restrictions on what I could/should do so I just kept on doing everything I was used to.

If this is your first - follow the physical therapy excercises (I doubled them). The nuisance of doing them pays off big time down the road.

Harry K

Thanks for the encouraging words on the hip replacement. I know that I'm ready for some relief but I've been a little apprehensive about having it done.

Latest posts

Back