Got a ms361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NvrDwn

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I feel like I got a good deal on this saw. It ran good had a little over 150psi. Where is a good place to get some replacement parts? I want to get this saw looking better. Plastics are faded paint chipped etc.

Attachments

• 20201210_182038.jpg
    20201210_182038.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 41
How about some more pics? 150psi should be fine assuming the P&C are good. I think mine hits 170 on my tester. Some folks use fine sandpaper to clean up the plastic and then coat with polyurethane. How bad are the chips? Unless it's going to be a shelf queen, I wouldn't make it look too good. For parts - Dealer, Trading post here, or Ebay.

How about some more pics? 150psi should be fine assuming the P&C are good. I think mine hits 170 on my tester. Some folks use fine sandpaper to clean up the plastic and then coat with polyurethane. How bad are the chips? Unless it's going to be a shelf queen, I wouldn't make it look too good. For parts - Dealer, Trading post here, or Ebay.
You can see the chips it the pull string area. I'm thinking I may resell the saw.

Looks like a nice saw. I guess for the age of these most will show personality and usage.

I picked up a MS361 last year and may have waited too long to get replacement parts from my dealer. I have had parts on back order for 3 months now. The raw products are scarce and causing manufacturing delays across the board. My dealer has more than 50 line items of back ordered parts to stihl, he has chainsaw and other equipment sitting waiting for parts to go back together. You might find parts you need on the internet or a dealer that just might have stock.

So my free to me 361 will cost me under $200 in parts. I will run it for a while and keep it as a backup saw for bucking ( when I ever get a 500i that has been on order...) might decide to sell it down the road.

All aftermarket MS361 parts are available from farmertec, which is one of the reasons why I bought their MS361 kit when it was on Black Friday sale for $112
Another reason was a good success I have had with MS660 I assembled year ago.

We will see in time how the 361 works out?

My 361 is now turning 13 years I believe:
Stihl MS361 Chainsaw.JPG
Remember the Bush stimulus check during his last year in office, circa 2008? I used that check to buy it. It's also the last year that I ever bought a new saw. I added an outside bumper spike and have replaced the fuel filter, and that's about it. Truly a remarkable performer.

All aftermarket MS361 parts are available from farmertec, which is one of the reasons why I bought their MS361 kit when it was on Black Friday sale for $112
Another reason was a good success I have had with MS660 I assembled year ago.

We will see in time how the 361 works out?
So farmtec has good aftermarket parts?

Some hate them while others love them, but I think all agree they are cheap!
They are easy to fine online and replacement parts or complete chainsaw kits (you assemble it) can be ordered directly, but they also have US dealers!

https://www.farmertec.com/ST-MS341-MS361-c2881.html

I would not recommend them to someone who makes their living with a chainsaw (they already know better), but they are fine for homeowner / occasional user handyman who can work on his saw himself.

If compared to cars for example, would you refuse to put any aftermarket repair part on your car?

I will say it's good to have some competition for the European design saw parts and it's an easy choice if you are unable to get new OEM parts - either buy used OEM parts, buy aftermarket or be without!

There are also other aftermarket brands that may have parts for MS361 - should be easy to find online.

Some hate them while others love them, but I think all agree they are cheap!
They are easy to fine online and replacement parts or complete chainsaw kits (you assemble it) can be ordered directly, but they also have US dealers!

https://www.farmertec.com/ST-MS341-MS361-c2881.html

I would not recommend them to someone who makes their living with a chainsaw (they already know better), but they are fine for homeowner / occasional user handyman who can work on his saw himself.

If compared to cars for example, would you refuse to put any aftermarket repair part on your car?

I will say it's good to have some competition for the European design saw parts and it's an easy choice if you are unable to get new OEM parts - either buy used OEM parts, buy aftermarket or be without!

There are also other aftermarket brands that may have parts for MS361 - should be easy to find online.
Thanks. 20 for a new cylinder and piston just seems beyond cheap.

Farmertec parts, like the rest of AM, are crap. You can get away with the plastics. Tanks can leak, the fuel caps almost always leak.

I wouldn’t use any mechanical moving parts from them, like cranks or pin bearings.

As for cylinders, they are crappy and you won’t get the performance of a real OEM cylinder. Even if they look similar, they are not. Squish will be all over the place as will be the port timing. The finesse of a 2T cylinder is hidden behind the scenes in the transfer ports. The tunnels, roofs and floors have specific angles cast/machined into them to provide the best performance and fuel economy. You really can’t see where the oem magic is all the time.

You get what you pay for.

Thanks. 20 for a new cylinder and piston just seems beyond cheap.

Yes they are - shipping will increase it some..

Like I said many people here either love them or hate them and trying to argue with someone who has made up their mind (no doubt some without any personal experience whatsoever?) is like trying to argue politics or religion.

It will get you nowhere!

Cheers

Attachments

• Sticking to their beliefs.pdf
    794.8 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back