Got a new MS261 today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!
The thing about that is, You may never have to replace the 260....:msp_smile:

The 261 is just too heavy and bulky, with bad weight distribution as well, to be a really good 50cc saw, and replacement for the 260 - but the US version of the 260 was seriously "detuned" to pass EPA, so the 241 should be a more suitable replacement for that one......

Stihl doesn't really have a replacement for the 026 and Euro 260 here, and it looks like they are suffering badly in the pro saw market because of it around here. I used to have two good Stihl dealers close to me, but by now one is gone, and the other has started selling Husky as well....:msp_sad:

I really hope the MS241 will give him some added sales, and believe it will around here!

OH MAN; I see what you mean I just saw this u tube vid

[video=youtube;xlp3iYeIl_k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlp3iYeIl_k&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

Last edited:
I was just wondering how much time you have spent running the 261 that you know it's to heavy and bulky

LOL, I know enough that I predicted how the saw would handle long before it was released anywhere, based on pictures of the interior of the saw, on the German Stihl site (I read German very well) - and many reports on the saw have confirmed what I predicted + the weight is a bit high for a 50cc saw (I couldn't predict that, but suspected it). I only once handled a standard 261 in a Stihl shop, and one of my friends fetched his 346xpg (NE) from the car (his), and we both compared how they acted in simulated limbing (both had 13" bars on them) - and there was a huge difference, despite the Husky was a heated one, and the Stihl was not. The heating on the Huskys adds about halv as much weight than on the smaller Stihls btw, since the Stihls doesn't come with a metal handlebar, unless the saw is heated.
There also was a second friend there, that actually had never used a chainsaw (but wants one), and even he felt the difference, even though he has an uncle that is a die-hard Stihl fan, and has indoctrinated him pretty badly......:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

The 241 was much nicer to handle than the 261 btw, but still not as good as the 346xpg, despite it is lighter - it felt pretty much like an 026/260 or 024.

OH MAN; I see what you mean I just saw this u tube vid

[video=youtube;xlp3iYeIl_k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlp3iYeIl_k&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

Yeah, those clowns hang out here every once in awhile...Brad, do you call them "Stills", or were you saying they are still the king??:laugh::laugh:...and speaking of clowns, where's that Brill Cream using, Elvis-impersonating, Tom T. Hall?

Last edited:
Yeah, those clowns hang out here every once in awhile...Brad, do you call them "Stills", or were you saying they are still the king??:laugh::laugh:...and speaking of clowns, where's that Brill Cream using, Elvis-impersonating, Tom T. Hall?

Brad has admitted many time, also lately, that he basically is a Stihl fan - but in the 50cc class he prefere the 346xp anyway! Actually, even Tommy (that lives from selling Stihl) also did admit that he did, a while ago.....:yoyo::yoyo:

With my thoughts on the handling of the 261 vs 346 is that the 261 carries more of its weight forward, and the 261's front handle is squared-off, whereas the 346's is a continuous arc.

...I also have no problem with the 261. It's a phenomenal saw that anyoneshould be proud to own and love to run!

True enough. Yet there are far more than just 2 or 3 saws that fit this description. Whichever brand and model best suits anyone's needs and budget, and that will always vary.

"The (insert your favourite saw) is a phenomenal saw that anyone should be proud to own and love to run!"

Thats just my $0.02, as I think far too big of a deal is usually being made about a few front runners.

True enough. Yet there are far more than just 2 or 3 saws that fit this description. Whichever brand and model best suits anyone's needs and budget, and that will always vary.

"The (insert your favourite saw) is a phenomenal saw that anyone should be proud to own and love to run!"

Thats just my $0.02, as I think far too big of a deal is usually being made about a few front runners.

I have had several saws over the years and to each their own on their personal preference... I recently have switched to Stihls exclusively . I have good dealers all around me and service that is second to none. I like what works for me. I think MANY of today's (if not all) Pro saws are excellent. They all can turn you a good profit or keep the home toasty warm in the winter! That's my opinion.

I made my choice of getting a 261 based on what happen last Friday when myself and 4 other guys (that I didn't know) used each saw in turned logs that were 16" dia. (I believe) of "Pacific Northwest Soft Wood" :) after spending over and hour (plus) with each saw I thought it was a no brainer; the reason I didn’t get one that day is they didn’t have enough of them on hand and had to order more. Both saws were brand new right out of the box the only thing is both saws had 20" bars and both had Stihl 3/8 chains.

I just received 4 saws back in December that were my Dad's but those probably will not see as much action as they use to time will tell on that with two brothers and a couple nephews. I wanted my own saws so the decision I made was getting the 261 this time for every day firewood cutting; I just bought a liming/around the house saw last month that I am more than happy with.

All this bs I’ve read here is so funny about what saw to get it like what chassis to use in sprint car racing and what engine to run in them or what camera to use Nikon or Cannon I’ve been on sprint car teams for many years been a picture taker/track photog for two tracks for over 10 years. It all comes down to what feels comfortable in your own hands.

DSC_2816Small.jpg

By all means keep up the bs’ing about what to buy because it’s so much fun to read

I can tell you why I bought mine...it was sold as a demo unit

I was not in the market for a 50cc saw when I bought my 261, but found it sitting on the dealer's shelf marked way down. He had gotten it for his son, who decided against keeping it, so he put it on the shelf. It supposedly had 2 hours on it, and he put it under warranty. I have no reason to doubt him; I know his business partner and best customer personally.

I'm sure I would have liked the Husky too, but they are scarce around here. I know of one servicing dealer that sells them, and they do not sell many. I know of 3 that handle Stihl and their service is excellent. I'm sure as many have pointed out, they are both great saws. But as with any saw, the key is a sharp chain.

I am also beginning to see the wisdom of the 2 saw plan and going with a 50 and a 70.

Back