Got a new/old truck.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Shooters Apprentice

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I made a deal and picked up this 1969 freightliner flatbed for $1500. Has a 300 Cummins in it and a 13 speed. Not exactly sure what I’m gonna do with it yet, but thought it was a cool old truck and had to have it. Gonna have to pack battery’s in and see if I can get it fired up and pulled out52793CCF-71FD-4EB2-88D8-A24D99B52268.jpeg
74D7058E-ED7E-4072-8B30-CB906A2DB9C9.jpeg

I’m a heavy equipment operator and heavy hauler by trade, so have a Class A with all endorsements l.
You will need a Class B, CDL, with air brake endorsement to drive that on the road. Neat truck though. FYI: If you do not like cold, snow, and ice, Texas is NOT the place to be right now.

I made a deal and picked up this 1969 freightliner flatbed for $1500. Has a 300 Cummins in it and a 13 speed. Not exactly sure what I’m gonna do with it yet, but thought it was a cool old truck and had to have it. Gonna have to pack battery’s in and see if I can get it fired up and pulled outView attachment 961983
View attachment 961981
My dad ran a 1970 Mack cabover water truck that looked similar to yours up until CA outlawed it, with a Big Cam 400, 13 speed tranny and only God knows how many miles on the clock it always did what he asked it to. Then CA decided 100 miles per year (at best, there were a few years it never moved) was too much and it was too much of a polluter so off the road and over to a local quarry/truck graveyard it went! That "gross polluter" bit may have been true, it didn't burn oil but it never quit smoking! :laugh:

Your Cummins is Either a 290 or a 335, Could also be a small cam 350? I worked on many cummins in my career and never ran across a 300 of that era. It would be a small cam for sure. There is what's called a CPL tag on the engine at the accessory drive on the side of the front cover, You should be able to figure out for sure what it is. That is a "White Freightliner" Before they were just Freightliners. Looks to be Early 70's.

You will need a Class B, CDL, with air brake endorsement to drive that on the road. Neat truck though. FYI: If you do not like cold, snow, and ice, Texas is NOT the place to be right now.

The OP mentioned having a CDL “A”, which is a good thing, because he will need it. I can’t tell, but suspect it is a tandem axle, the 34,000# rating on the rear tandems alone, would push it well over the 26,001# requirement for a CDL “A”.

I can’t imagine a single drive axle rated at less than 20,000#, and a 12,000# steer axle on that truck, still over the 26,001# requiring a CDL “A”

It’s possible, but I can’t imagine that truck having a GCWR of 26,000# or less

Doug

A truck that has been around that long could actually have had a Big Cam Cummins swapped in also, Let us know what you find out, It would be interesting to know.
There was a Big Cam 300 Cummins, When that truck was made the small cam was what was available.

The OP mentioned having a CDL “A”, which is a good thing, because he will need it. I can’t tell, but suspect it is a tandem axle, the 34,000# rating on the rear tandems alone, would push it well over the 26,001# requirement for a CDL “A”.

I can’t imagine a single drive axle rated at less than 20,000#, and a 12,000# steer axle on that truck, still over the 26,001# requiring a CDL “A”

It’s possible, but I can’t imagine that truck having a GCWR of 26,000# or less

Doug
Class A has nothing to do with weight, it has to do with combinations. I can drive as heavy as a straight truck as I want on a class B, but can't do heavy trailers unless I have a A

Latest posts

Back