Got all my gear now!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikedSupra

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright! I have all of my gear it has all finally arrived. Now I am ready to climb, climb, and climb some more. The gear looks to be in great shape. Got lots of good rope and a few little goodies like throw rope with bag and a handsaw and an extra lanyard for ALT.

Forrest-

Which funeral parlor have you registered with? I want to know where to send the card to. :D

Matt-

That`s one thing about gear, you can never have it all, there alway seems to be something else.

Forrest
"Go low .......Go slow" .
Double check everything!!!!!
A) =ABOVE.... Everthing above you , achor points, deadwood , powerlines anything in your selcted climbing route esp watch for branch inclusions.
B) =BELOW....Everything below you pedestrians, selected descent route,where your rope is trailing etc..
C) = CARRABINER....whatever is attaching you to your harness, biners,knots etc.
STAY SAFE.
All the best mate

Hey Guys

Well DDM was right when he said that I was probably out because as soon as I got my gear I went straight out to test it. I wasnt in a neighboors lawn though. My dad lives on 3 acres of land that has literally about(If I really had to guess) 2000 trees on it. I have the advantage to practice many kinds of trees and almost any climbing condition. I went straight for an oak and pitched my throwline over the second crotch....I anchored my climbing line and proceeded to tie to the throw line and pull it over the crotch. Anchored my rope snap to my saddle....tied my blakes hitch with figure eight stopper and was ready to go. I only climbed a few feet up and then came down(trying to go LOW and SLOW). Just wanted to try the gear out. The only difficulty I had was advancing the blakes hitch while climbing. Other than that everything went peachy keen.

You might try adding a micro pulley beneath it to fairlead Or use a Prussic to climb up and a figure 8 to descend. I use a Taughtline Hitch left slightly loose as a backup and a Hand ascender above and a Pantin ankle ascender to advance. The taughtline is Fairlead with a micro pulley. This is probably not the best system but it works for me.

new to your list

hey just reading some of your notes and had to subscribe and say that you should re-concider a new profession. you sound just excited enough to get you self killled.

Y'know, Spikey, in all your posts I have yet to see you say ANYTHING about caring for trees. It's like all you see is dollars where we see leaves. If you just want to make money, why don't you try Amway or something. If you want to hurt or kill yourself, damage some of God's most incredulous creations, and give ALL tree guys a bad name, then keep doing what you are doing. God willing, you will come to your senses before something tragic happens. You have NO business in a tree. :angel:

Incredulous? It get the point across. :p

Welcome Opie! Would you like to climb trees? :D

Originally posted by DDM
Tim? I must be Daft because i dont understand.

The Body Thrust IMHO is the most basic way to ascend a tree. If he can not figure out how to body thrust then climbing with hooks (climbers, spurs, etc.) is way too technical and will most likely result in injury.

“Daft”??? :D

Dead

Well I guess I should just write my obituary right now.
I can see it in the paper now.

Forrest D**** died today while climbing an oak tree yesterday afternoon. He was too excited about starting his tree climbing business and while in his overlyextatic state of mind he errently tied his blakes hitch that came untied 60 feet in the air at which point he plummeted 60 feet to his disasterous death. He is survived by his two parents Ted and Joy D**** and also his cat Kitty-Kow.

You think I'm gonna be the next victim to fall out of tree
Well I am dead, critics....dead to you as can be.

Not that my respect matters around here but I'll tell you the one thing I respect about David and others is they may think I'm crazy for trying to do this but ALL they offer is their help in answering my questions and none of their cynicisms. There is a lot to be said about men like them. All kinds of character. Dont respond to that statement....I just wanted it to be known.

Okay Tim i just couldnt figure out why one needed to Body thrust to use Hooks. I didnt know the context you were refering to. :eek:

Forrest,

It is not that we do not want to help you. On the contrary, we DO want to help. The last thing we want (and I think I speak for everyone here) is to see one of our own injured or worse killed. Just recently a climber was killed in my city as a result of an injury received from a fall after throwing a top. There have also been a few broken backs and broken legs here too. One climber fell aprox. 50 feet after his climb line jumped out of the notch he cut to repel from. He landed on his feet and surprisingly received almost no injuries, he walked away. He was not the same climber after the fall. It is easy to loose confidence after an accident.

Just follow Rob Murphy’s advice and “Go low ……Go Slow”. Get the proper Hands On training that climbing requires from a qualified trainer. ;)

Latest posts

Back