Got an ms460. Redundant questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carlo
where in Jersey are you. Im in Somerville/Flemington area if you need a hand.
I'm from Williamstown. I work in Philadelphia however. I think flemington is about an hour and 45 minute drive or so from where i am at.

Regards-Carlo

I'm not saying that it's not useable. I'm just saying it's not up to par.

Okay. I'm thinking new rings. Lightly hone the cylinder and possibly tighten up the squish. No one has said yet of cutting the base or squish would have any negative effects on performance. Or does the amount I cut and where timing is at now need to be known first?

Regards-Carlo

I'm from Williamstown. I work in Philadelphia however. I think flemington is about an hour and 45 minute drive or so from where i am at.

Regards-Carlo
Your welcome to stop by if ya want. I get to the Linc in 1:45...when the Giants come to fark up the iggles. (Or CBB when my Metsies mess with the Philthies)
Got a few 460's and a bucket of parts if we need. Plenty of tooling too.

Your welcome to stop by if ya want. I get to the Linc in 1:45...when the Giants come to fark up the iggles. (Or CBB when my Metsies mess with the Philthies)
Got a few 460's and a bucket of parts if we need. Plenty of tooling too.
I really do appreciate the offer. As I
Am not the most intelligent when it comes to saws or anything other then auto rice repair. Come to think of it I'm
Not too intelligent with that either. Anyhow maybe one day I'll take a ride. Right now I'm so sick of driving I don't think it's likely to happen anytime soon.

Regards-Carlo

Of course, since you are in NJ, the saw should be tested in Salt Water. Take the saw on a boat and go out on the Ocean, also bring 20' of rope and some duct tape.

Tie the rope to the handle, start the saw, duct tape the trigger at WOT and drop the saw in the water. The bubbles should stop before the saw gets to the end of the rope.

You can also use the "Stalin" method by adding a cement boot over the bar before you drop it in.

Best of Luck

Of course, since you are in NJ, the saw should be tested in Salt Water. Take the saw on a boat and go out on the Ocean, also bring 20' of rope and some duct tape.

Tie the rope to the handle, start the saw, duct tape the trigger at WOT and drop the saw in the water. The bubbles should stop before the saw gets to the end of the rope.

You can also use the "Stalin" method by adding a cement boot over the bar before you drop it in.

Best of Luck

Mike,
this is a Stihl saw we are discussing...not a Husky....( we save Stihls....shove Huskys to the ocean)

:)

Best of Luck
I had thought about that. I am going fishing in the ocean with my brother in law on Friday. Maybe I should just tie it to the fishing line and cast it out and see if it'll come back? Sounds like a good test.

Regards-Carlo

Mike,
this is a Stihl saw we are discussing...not a Husky....( we save Stihls....shove Huskys to the ocean)

:)
That's not always true. I was very partial to my 385xp. I've always wanted to see what the rave about these 460s was all about. Every one I ever bought however needed a bit of work.

Regards-Carlo

That's not always true. I was very partial to my 385xp. I've always wanted to see what the rave about these 460s was all about. Every one I ever bought however needed a bit of work.

Regards-Carlo

I luv me 385xp's....just not too many around here.
around these parts the 460-046 is a logging standard...and lots get hammered to Xhit...
very rare to see a heated handle one....look me up when you get tired of messing with it( ie want to sell) or wanna fix it....or wanna run another one to see what they are like...
or wanna run a 385.....

I luv me 385xp's....just not too many around here.
around these parts the 460-046 is a logging standard...and lots get hammered to Xhit...
very rare to see a heated handle one....look me up when you get tired of messing with it( ie want to sell) or wanna fix it....or wanna run another one to see what they are like...
or wanna run a 385.....
I very well make try to take a ride at se
Point in time. I'm young and needless to say not very knowledgeable. So I'd like to learn from someone that knows what they're doing. And run more saws. I regret the day I sold my 385 my 660 and my other 460 more then anything else.

Regards-Carlo

Was that before you removed the gasket? Did you measure at the point right against the cylinder wall? Did you measure two opposing sides, so as to avoid a high reading due to piston rock?
I assume you are still talking to me Brad? That was after the base gasket was removed. I put solder in the plug whole against the cylinder wall and smushed it. Measured .025. Was this not the correct way to measure?

I assume you are still talking to me Brad? That was after the base gasket was removed. I put solder in the plug whole against the cylinder wall and smushed it. Measured .025. Was this not the correct way to measure?

yep he is from Norf Caroliner! I understand that language ;)

Latest posts

Back