got into some wood!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foursaps

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
got all the saws together today for a fun time milling!! we are milling this stuff into 5" slabs, then gonna make them into 5x7 posts/beams for our new sugar house.

had the new to me 394xp on the alaskan mill, and the 372xp on the beam machine. the jonsered 630 was there for limbing and moral support for the others. considering it was our first time actually milling for a purpose, i think we did just fine!!

to top it all off, i got to spend yet another great day in the woods with my father. a lot of fond memories of cutting in these woods, with both my father and my grandfather

on to the pics!!

the tree: red pine
IMG_0935.jpg

first section milled
IMG_0938.jpg

394 in the mill ready for first cut
IMG_0943.jpg

372 in the beam machine
IMG_0946.jpg

gettin the bark off
IMG_0955.jpg

pic showing size
IMG_0957.jpg

a video of the 394 in the mill, a little long, you have been warned. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwzC-Z_Y6Z8
thanks!!

Last edited:
Cool pictures, thanks for sharing them. I would love to have some of that big Pine around here.

Last edited:
Looks like fun!! (I like your auto aux bar oiler!! hehe)

We only have yellow pine here but it looks a lot like what you have there. Here are some boards I made out of yellow pine and they are leaning on a yellow pine tree:

2010-01-25004.jpg

Here's one we dropped a couple of months ago. I actually did get some slabs done out of that log.
2010-02-16018.jpg

Last edited:
thankf for looking guys!

The aux oiler is working out pretty well, i might change the drip rate a little, but it worked out. :)cheers:).

BobL- that 1/4 log is pretty much standing up on its own. it's a wonder that it didn't fall over, but when it was time to pull the boards out, that one was tough to push over.

gr8scott- nice looking boards! that yellow pine does look a lot like what we have, but i am pretty sure ours is a red.

we have about 4-5 more in that area just like it, one more is gonna come down to make siding for the sugar house, and one white oak will come down to make the sills and top plates.

Nice work!

I've been here in Dallas on business since may 2nd. Lookin' forward to flying back home friday and hopefully get my gear rounded up for this years milling adentures. Anyway, thanks for posting.

Latest posts

Back