Got lucky In the Lyons Flood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qweesdraw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just got back online unlike the town of Lyons.
The East side of towns homes basically filled with 4' of mud.
(most didn't have insurance) they were not in a flood plain and it is not offered.
I was awakened by the siren@ about 2:AM the voice said that flooding was imminent.
Since the river is in front of my house in went down to the river it was up about 12' and sounded like a water falls.
When the sun came out i needed to move my splitters,a 1000 lb propane tank (full) was hissing about to hit the bridge.(I hit the ground) It stood straight up then the current sucked it under.
Followed by a few vehicles,refrigerators, houses and many trees.
Many of the homes @ the lower part of my street are gone.
Many in town Lost all!
FEMA and the local Sheriffs tried to put the fear of god into us,I looked at them and said,hey we are Mtn. folks and you wont feed our animals and my dogs have will never go into a cage!
Well we made it,rebuilding roads with our own tractors and backhoes neighbors being family.
My sawmill went to fish food and didn't loose a stick of firewood but nowhere to sell it since the road to Estes Park is gone it will be a slim $ year for my family.
I am one of the lucky ones,one of the guys down the road was found impaled in a pine tree.(yes i knew him)
Mark

Wow, just wow!

I was wondering if we would get more flood stories.

I am glad you'all got stuff done without caving to some dotgov demands. I know sometimes they make sense, but..your home is your home and if intact, you can do without utilities for awhile.

Wow, just wow!

I was wondering if we would get more flood stories.

I am glad you'all got stuff done without caving to some dotgov demands. I know sometimes they make sense, but..your home is your home and if intact, you can do without utilities for awhile.
15 days since a hot shower.
Also lost all of my Elk in the freezer.
Cooking off the Coleman pump stove is getting old but better than the propane one,wat cheaper to use.(just under a gallon in 15 days)
About to loose my ISP a local guy he runs it on a generator 7am to 7pm.

I just got back online unlike the town of Lyons.
The East side of towns homes basically filled with 4' of mud.
(most didn't have insurance) they were not in a flood plain and it is not offered.
I was awakened by the siren@ about 2:AM the voice said that flooding was imminent.
Since the river is in front of my house in went down to the river it was up about 12' and sounded like a water falls.
When the sun came out i needed to move my splitters,a 1000 lb propane tank (full) was hissing about to hit the bridge.(I hit the ground) It stood straight up then the current sucked it under.
Followed by a few vehicles,refrigerators, houses and many trees.
Many of the homes @ the lower part of my street are gone.
Many in town Lost all!
FEMA and the local Sheriffs tried to put the fear of god into us,I looked at them and said,hey we are Mtn. folks and you wont feed our animals and my dogs have will never go into a cage!
Well we made it,rebuilding roads with our own tractors and backhoes neighbors being family.
My sawmill went to fish food and didn't loose a stick of firewood but nowhere to sell it since the road to Estes Park is gone it will be a slim $ year for my family.
I am one of the lucky ones,one of the guys down the road was found impaled in a pine tree.(yes i knew him)
Mark

Why aren't you guy's standing on top of your houses screaming at the federal government, like they did in New Orleans?

Here's a couple of phone pics from my fishing lease on Boulder Creek. You can see Boulder's sewer line that was buried under the dike in the first photo. That line ruptured just upstream of my 4 lakes. 2 lakes are left. Last photo is a fish I hooked a few days before the flood, the good old days.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380331378093.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380331378093.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 54
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380331421298.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380331421298.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 52
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380331647083.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380331647083.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 50
Why aren't you guy's standing on top of your houses screaming at the federal government, like they did in New Orleans?
We must be a different breed?
The FEMA guys that went down there were amazed to see us rebuilding our own roads.
No reports of looting that i have heard of also.

Last edited:
Oh I know, most of the people down were already on Welfare for 4-5 generations.
Makes me sick.

That's kind of hard to do isn't it? Didn't welfare as we know it start in the 1960s?

The big difference that I see? We rural people usually have equipment around. Tractors and stuff. My neighborhood has construction and logging equipment. Now, do you think city people have tractors? Excavators in their neighborhoods? And, had the Katrina people stored any food it was ruined when their houses flooded. You've got houses nearby that didn't flood. New Orleans is in a hole. You live above sea level.
Big differences so don't even go there. Apples and oranges.

Should I brag about the National Guard having to go to Centralia and Chehalis but not here when we had our big one? Golly gee, all them people must be on welfare or the gubmint wouldn't show up.

Don't push it.

Back