Got me a New splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgip2k

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well not new, but new to me. Seen ad on CL for a 27 ton Yard Machines splitter for $200. said runs rough. I go ahead and reply thinking its going to a be POS... but parts would be well worth the money. Go to pick it up, and we start it, run pretty good but governor needs adjusted as it wants to hunt for proper RPM, guy has homemade wire on adjuster so I bet thats the running issue and it needs a muffler. Even looks much better than the picture I had in my mind.

Attachments

• log splitter.jpg
    log splitter.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 127
Great score .. That's even cheaper than a leveraxe lol

Sometimes small engine governors hunt because the carb either needs cleaning or it's just set too lean.

GREAT SCORE!

I agree, but the guy has this one all cobbled together. It's missing some pieces, and has homemeade pieces in it. I changed plug, started it and ran for about 5 minutes held wide open, pulled plug and it looks like its running as it should. If I can find a good detailed pic of the gov. setup I may look for parts, but will probably just make a bracket and set the carb wide open for splitting.

Well not new, but new to me. Seen ad on CL for a 27 ton Yard Machines splitter for $200. said runs rough. I go ahead and reply thinking its going to a be POS... but parts would be well worth the money. Go to pick it up, and we start it, run pretty good but governor needs adjusted as it wants to hunt for proper RPM, guy has homemade wire on adjuster so I bet thats the running issue and it needs a muffler. Even looks much better than the picture I had in my mind.
That's pretty sweet!! I think you're gonna like that a lot.

I too will be going with the YOU SUCK phrase...I have been looking for a used unit for under $500 on craigslist ,with no luck...For 200 dollars you could replace the engine or cylinder or pump and still be ahead...I really doubt that you would have to go with the trifecta..Congrats on a great find

Drain gas soak up whats left with old rags, make shure the tank is dry and clean. Fill with fresh gas and adjust carb. If the carb does not need rebuilding this should stop the hunting and smooth out.If it is set right you donot need to override the govenor.
Good buy

Good score, especially for CL!
I haven't seen a decent deal on a saw or splitter on CL for over a year. Lots of $100 Wild Things and crap like that. Haven't seen a splitter for under $1500 and all of them are junk.
I get a kick out of the phrase "only used once." I guess the "once" was 1500 hours straight. Great shape means, most of the parts are there.

Even if it never runs, you still made a nice score on the parts to make one....

I think I can top that deal. Check this out (no...I'm not buying it): http://lewiston.craigslist.org/grd/4271546696.html

we just built one like that , farmall H motor mounted on a trailer with single stage 26 gpm pump .
the problem is those motor only turn 2,000 rpms , so a 3,000 rpm pump wont be efficient and burning way to much gas.
so we mount a 3 speed cast iron tranny backwards and love joy the pump to the input shaft of tranny .

so the motor set at 1,000 rpm
first gear will spin the pump at 3,000 rpm
second will it at 1,900 rpm
third is a 1 to1 ratio so it spin the pump at a 1000 rpm's

setting at a 1 k it really burns the same or a less than a 12 horse at 3,200 rpms

Latest posts

Back