got me seeing "J" red

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawbones

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
so today this guy brings a jonesred 930 super "WEST COAST" over to trade me. It looks real nice so i fire it once and then we make trade for item he wants.

So first thing I do is drop the little 32" bar and find a proper one. My test log is 38" right now at small end.

I grab a new GB 40" stihl mount and modify a homelite groove spacer to fit the studs to take up the gap for the jony's smaller studs. Then cut a new oregon skip and head to the the test log..

CIMG3781.jpg

CIMG3783.jpg

CIMG3785.jpg

All seemed to go well except was not sure about the oiler performance.
Put the saw on the bench and noticed a burn in the plastic above the muff.
By the way, it was kinda loud too..

CIMG3789.jpg

CIMG3790.jpg

CIMG3791.jpg

CIMG3794.jpg

So as you can see some brain surgeon decided to mod the muff and did not tuck the deflector back in. The heavy cut I made was what caused the damage to this probaly unreplacable top cover... OUCH......

cant find much info on this saw, anyone know about when it was made. ric

Nice saw. What did you have to give up for it? As far as when it was made the case halves are stamped with a year inside the muffler area.

Nice saw. What did you have to give up for it? As far as when it was made the case halves are stamped with a year inside the muffler area.

I traded another :chainsawguy: for it. a real nice wildthingy:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks for the date info.

Those are good saws, too bad that one got tampered with. No problems though, I think I have a muffler floating around for it.

thanks JJ, please tape it on that cp your dropping off so you dont forget:biggrinbounce2: p.s. its a thin ring too

The 920 had very impressive low-end grunt. If I recall correctly, the similar 930 Super was tuned for a bit more breathing room on the top end.

Nice find.

Ric,

I sure cannot figure you out????:monkey: You refused to sell something but then trade it? I do trade also

Bill

Ric,

I sure cannot figure you out????:monkey: You refused to sell something but then trade it? I do trade also

Bill

not too hard too figure Bill, I found a few things I wanted and offered a trade. The key there is,, wanted.

If I have something you want you need to have something I want.

In the collector world value and money is replaced by sheer desire.

many things can not be purchased with money Bill. well,
let me modify that statment. roll the franklins and I will think about it.

I hope to have my KS 43 heading here soon too.

last saw on bucket list is early 3120. then my life is complete:)

Those are excellent saws. IMHO, moving parts and consumables (filters, cranks, etc) for those are pretty hard to find, but top covers and the like shouldn't be too bad. There seem to be broken units around to pull from and those top covers were pretty tough. You probably will have trouble if you're concerned about the "West Coast" sticker.

If a J-red is modified for High Performance, does it become a J-rod?

cool, sounds good to me

Those are excellent saws. IMHO, moving parts and consumables (filters, cranks, etc) for those are pretty hard to find, but top covers and the like shouldn't be too bad. There seem to be broken units around to pull from and those top covers were pretty tough. You probably will have trouble if you're concerned about the "West Coast" sticker.

the reason I wanted this was because of that top and the stcker.. this thing was pretty cherry.

lost a little value but still a cool looking unit.

I have a few jreds but they are all clunkers..

Thats nice Ric, what timber are you trying it in ?

Hi Dave, my test log is spruce. Some spruce here is hard as rock and kills chain. this one is hard but not too bad.

the big trees around here are Fir, hemlock, cedar, maple and cottonwood to name a few. Plenty are over 5 foot at cut line. big bars required.

here is the " J ROD " yesterday. I cut my cookies at 15 to 19 inches, fit into my stove better than those 2" cookies :monkey:
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m3hw4xznHl4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m3hw4xznHl4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Back