Got my first one- OMG an oil thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKDoug

Pro Staff
Reaction score
It was bound to happen eventually. I got an 034 in today with bad crank bearings, but a surprisingly good cylinder and piston. Customer says they have been running Amsoil 100:1 for 15 years at 5 to 6 cords a year. Lower end gone in 75 to 80 cords on a pro saw. I can't help but think it was the oil.

It was a two-fer kind of day. The first saw in the door this morning (MS361) was also bad crank bearings AND either upper or lower rod bearing (or both). Piston hops up and down when I turn the flywheel . I haven't popped it all apart yet, but the piston and cylinder look good through the exhaust port. I am seriously curious on what oil he was running.

Funny thing is that I only had a couple bad bearing saws in 2014 and started off with two on my first day open in 2015.

l think l remember Randy mention in a post once that it was not the top ends that he worried about with low oil ratios but the bottom ends crank bearings ect. lt was a fad for a while how little oil you could run in a mix & people assumed 100:1 reccomended ratios were a sign of oil quality. l bet Doug would see a lot of internals and not neccessarily vouch for all the claims made on oil bottles and be quite happy with a good oil at 40:1/50:1 even if it ain't the most expensive ester base full synthetic. l have seen the internals of high use saws run on the normal stihl petrolium base blue colored oil and as long as your prepared to clean a little carbon occaisionally off spark plug, exhaust port and piston crown it will provide lasting protection. l am yet to see a failure directly related to the oil quality itself.

It was bound to happen eventually. I got an 034 in today with bad crank bearings, but a surprisingly good cylinder and piston. Customer says they have been running Amsoil 100:1 for 15 years at 5 to 6 cords a year. Lower end gone in 75 to 80 cords on a pro saw. I can't help but think it was the oil.

It was a two-fer kind of day. The first saw in the door this morning (MS361) was also bad crank bearings AND either upper or lower rod bearing (or both). Piston hops up and down when I turn the flywheel . I haven't popped it all apart yet, but the piston and cylinder look good through the exhaust port. I am seriously curious on what oil he was running.

Funny thing is that I only had a couple bad bearing saws in 2014 and started off with two on my first day open in 2015.
Notice much oil on the bearings was it getting there ? 100 to 1 just dont seem right.

Lets not start blaming the oil. Its the cheap parts in the saw.:surprised3::surprised3::surprised3::omg::omg::omg:

Sorry for the poke at the parts. I don't know any one that mixes more than 50/1. I my self mix around 34,36/1.

That actually speaks highly of the oil. My brother has a 028 super that he bougtht back in the 88/89 he and my other brother used to sell 50 to 60 cord a year did this for several years 6-7 it still runs good . needs a new ring. he used 40:1.

http://www.amsoil.com/shopres/warranty/amsoil-warranty-lubricants.pdf

100:1 is some funny ****...:laugh:
I've never understood the mentality of saving a few cents by the 100:1 amsoil users.
More is not always better(oil), but it this case it is. I've tried amsoil before. It's a good oil when used at reasonable mix ratios that burns clean with low odor, but no better than other good 2T oils.

I've never understood the mentality of saving a few cents by the 100:1 amsoil users.
More is not always better(oil), but it this case it is. I've tried amsoil before. It's a good oil when used at reasonable mix ratios that burns clean with low odor, but no better than other good 2T oils.
You are dead right on this.

The sad thing is all of the people who were encouraged to run 100:1 and then had problems only to have AMS claim it wasn't the oil's fault when stuff failed.

The most people are so stupid they and sorry for telling this, but this is the truth, if like , if dont like, the operator here run 100: 1 just because some other stupid tell him, he dont do what the saw factory recomend, he dont do what the oil factory recoment , but he do what a stupid tell him.

if you see all saws recoment 50:1 or 40:1 the same recoment all 2t oils , you think that they are stupids or they dont know.
I have customers that they use burn oil from theirs cars, tractors, for bar oil , customers that they use the same burn oil for fuel mixture, customers that dont have change plugs for years, customers who make carb diaphragms from nylon of cigarettes packets , and many more examples to show you how stupids are the most peoples.
Its not the money the problem its the stupidity.

I ran Amsoil before in my backpack blower It was a sample packet from a motorcycle show. I can't tell you how good of an oil it was or wasn't because that stuff gave me the craziest headache I've ever gotten. I got a similar headache from Silkolene synthetic also. Funky stuff in that brew.

100:1 is some funny ****...:laugh:
Brfore christmass a 441 mtronic came , the customer say dont work good , the MDG1 show something like this :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: in the computer screen.
the fuel filter is black like have paint on in. i ask why the filter is so black ???
The customer say. i was in forest , i have one kilo extra fuel but not mixed, i dont have 2t oil with me, and i put bar oil to the fuel to finish the job.
i ask again why its too black?
customer - i use burn oil from my tractor for bar oil.
Now lets talk about the peoples stupidity

The most people are so stupid they and sorry for telling this, but this is the truth, if like , if dont like, the operator here run 100: 1 just because some other stupid tell him, he dont do what the saw factory recomend, he dont do what the oil factory recoment , but he do what a stupid tell him.
The oil manufacturers make claims that the oil works at 100:1 - how does that make the customers who believe those claims stupid? Not everyone is experienced with 2-stroke engines, nor has the ability to verify the performance of the product. You blame the victim of a con job and call them stupid, but we all have areas where we are not experts and are vulnerable to false advertising. I am absolutely sure you have such vulnerabilities as well - perhaps someone will call you stupid for believing things they knew were not true.

Brfore christmass a 441 mtronic came , the customer say dont work good , the MDG1 show something like this :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: in the computer screen.
the fuel filter is black like have paint on in. i ask why the filter is so black ???
The customer say. i was in forest , i have one kilo extra fuel but not mixed, i dont have 2t oil with me, and i put bar oil to the fuel to finish the job.
i ask again why its too black?
customer - i use burn oil from my tractor for bar oil.
Now lets talk about the peoples stupidity

just when you thought you heard everything...

The oil manufacturers make claims that the oil works at 100:1 - how does that make the customers who believe those claims stupid? Not everyone is experienced with 2-stroke engines, nor has the ability to verify the performance of the product. You blame the victim of a con job and call them stupid, but we all have areas where we are not experts and are vulnerable to false advertising. I am absolutely sure you have such vulnerabilities as well - perhaps someone will call you stupid for believing things they knew were not true.

I might tend to believe the saw manufacturer whose owners manual says "50:1" just about everywhere on them rather then the oil manufacturer that claims "100:1"

Latest posts

Back