Got my new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch614

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Met a guy today to buy a used ms360 pro and it seems to have very low hours. I got it with just the power head cause I had some 3/8 .050 chain on my jd 55ev and I had a stihl 20" bar. Problem is the chain is 68 drive links and I did not realize that even though the identifications said it was a 72 drive link. But then it hit me, I took some of the chain out to fit on my saw better since it was loose and wouldn't tighten up all the way. Luckily the stihl deal a mile away has some used but sharpen chain, so I'm gonna head down there soon and see what the quality is like on the chain and sharpening. Eventually I'll get a 25" bar for it too and skip tooth chain for limbing those tree's since I'm tall at 6'2 but a youngin at 23, just don't want to have a bad back when I'm older.

One last thing is I gotta say, saws.. Well any tools are they're addicting. I already want a small saw, maybe a top handle saw for pruning the small limps and trees around our house and neighbors than a bigger saw for my milling addictions, a stihl 660 is my dream mill saw, though I'll probably use this 360 to mill with a mini mill to cut them into beams and an Alaskan mill to cut them into slabs. I know I probably should have looked for a bigger saw but what would your guys and gals recommendation be on the max and size of wood I could mill with this. I was thinking a 25 inch bar on a Alaskan so I could cut 20" inch logs and smaller. Main questions, would it be able to do some hardwood a few times. Figured I could build some things and sell them for a price. Main reason I asked for hardwood is Im getting some oak for free, I just have to cut it down.
Such a long post, just excited to have a smexy stihl.

Pics in next post!!

395 is a better milling saw, and I'm a StihlHead.

I just like the stihl family. I've ran a few from a 021 to a (I think) a 056 magnum, maybe super. Heavy but 28" bar and full comp chain. It ripped.

I haven't used a 395 but I did use a 372xp an loved it! I'll keep an eye out for a 395 when I look for a new saw. Hopefully soon, I love new toys.

Nice saw, looks well taken care of.

It is! I'm gonna look at it later really close. Maybe open the muffler a little, I see that talked about a ton!

That thing is clean!! Good score. Probably a little small to mill with IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That thing is clean!! Good score. Probably a little small to mill with IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a bit small but I needed a saw and I wanted a pro saw and this thing was clean, great saw to start a collection in my mind. If I mill slow, keep a sharp chain and run it right I think I can get away with milling some cedar and I'll hold off on cutting the oak till I get a bigger saw.

But I agree it's a bit small. If I had the extra money no doubt I would have went for a bigger saw. At least 75cc's.

You want a minimum of 88-95cc for milling any hardwood in the 15in-24in width category!

After reading on milling a lot more I agree. I'm gonna keep an eye out for a 660 or 395xp.

In your opinion would the 360 be ok for cedar and redwood at about 16-18inch for a few slabs?

Hey man awesome saw damn clean too....I don't mill but I think you may want to wait to mill with bigger saw.... The ms361 will cut hard wood all day long with a 20" bar buried, but long cross grain cuts will tax her considerably...

You are off to a better start than I started with, good luck let us know how you like her after letting her eat some wood....

Congratulations, Nice looking chainsaw.

I rebuilt an Old magnum 038, and it now starts in two pulls, and runs great but such a heavy chainsaw. I made maybe one mistake, the replacement cylinder kit came with or without the decompression valve, and I think I would have liked to have the decompression valve, its a heck of a tug, Lol

Attachments

• Stihl chainsaw3.jpg
    Stihl chainsaw3.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 16
Hey man awesome saw damn clean too....I don't mill but I think you may want to wait to mill with bigger saw.... The ms361 will cut hard wood all day long with a 20" bar buried, but long cross grain cuts will tax her considerably...

You are off to a better start than I started with, good luck let us know how you like her after letting her eat some wood....

That's what I've been reading as I search this forum. I would have love to got a bigger saw right away but I needed a saw and it was to good of a deal haha. I've been tasked to cut some dying aspen trees this week, also have to limb em and buck em to firewood size. There smaller about 12 inch thick so this saws overkill but I'm happy to use it.

Congratulations, Nice looking chainsaw.

I rebuilt an Old magnum 038, and it now starts in two pulls, and runs great but such a heavy chainsaw. I made maybe one mistake, the replacement cylinder kit came with or without the decompression valve, and I think I would have liked to have the decompression valve, its a heck of a tug, Lol

After using my jd 55ev which is about 55 cc and bare minimum. And after pressing the decompression valve on the 360 it feels like I'm starting my husqy weed eater which is about 28cc.

Drop starting feels a lot safer with the decompression valve. Even though we're not supposed to do that. Oops

The 460/461 was too small for milling, but the 360 is now enough???

I hope you don't plan to do A LOT of milling....

No no no. I wanted a 460 magnum, but didn't jump at it fast enough and it sold before I could grab it. But now I have an excuse to get a Bigger saw and eventually a smaller saw, then another saw cause why not. But no, after some thinking and regretting of some sort, I'll probably just try and become buddies with someone who has a bandsaw mill.

Saws are addicting. Well any power tools are.

Oh and I meant to say, you are starting out with a great saw, plenty of time to get other saws down the road (and you WILL).....I would bet the ms361 will easil cut 70-80% of what you you need to with no problems, I know I use my ms362 for about 75% of the time I cut.... So I personally think you started with the best saw for average cutting.... I mean ya you can mill with the ms660, but would you want it to be the first saw you owned to cut 10-20" wood???....I know I wouldn't.... You did good man, now let the chips fly!!!!

After reading on milling a lot more I agree. I'm gonna keep an eye out for a 660 or 395xp.

In your opinion would the 360 be ok for cedar and redwood at about 16-18inch for a few slabs?

With a ripping chain my best guess is it probably would, but I have not had experience to be sure. I did Honey Locust (that stuff is harder than your mother-in-law's head), White Oak, Sugar Maple, & some others including Red Pine (the toughest of our Michigan Pines) using a 34in B&C on a Jonsereds 920 (88cc). It did well but was not fast. Cedar & Redwood are pretty soft, so they might not be too much strain on your 60cc saw. It will be interesting to hear a report from you after you have a go at it.

Back