Got my Timberwolf TW6 this weekend..PICS!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckydozenfarm

THE MAN OF STIHL
Reaction score
I finally gave up on the Speeco and went and got a Timberwolf TW-6 fully loaded. This thing is incredible from fit to finish. It also splits a lot of big wood very quickly. I mostly bring in wood from cuts around my area and I mostly just do the trunk wood since they ride better on my flat deck trailer better than the branches. I plain just got tired of splitting in the dirt on a bucket. I have the log lift and this weekend I had another person feeding me logs. This thing could do 2-3 cords easily per hour. I find myself using the 4-way wedge more often, but if you have a log in the 16-20" diameter range the 6 way is a one-and-done cycle. 20140712_172033.jpg 20140712_172047.jpg 20140712_193039.jpg 20140712_193108.jpg 20140712_102849.jpg 20140712_172033.jpg 20140712_172047.jpg 20140712_193039.jpg 20140712_193108.jpg 20140712_102849.jpg 20140712_105845.jpg I plan to upgrade to an autocycle valve here pretty soon. The log cradle holds the log right where you want it and it would be nice to walk away to get another log while it's doing it's thing.

Attachments

• 20140712_105831.jpg
    20140712_105831.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 62
You are going to like that machine! I bought a TW2-HD last Fall and just love it, congrats on the purchase great pics. I do wish I had the hydraulic wedge lift.

very nice splitter log lift and the grate are good back savers

Welcome to the club! Let us know how the auto cycle goes. I was kicking around getting one too. Still might someday.

Congrats

Wonderful machine, you'll be even more pleased the more you use it.

Installing an auto-cycle is really straight forward. I've done a few TW-P1s for people. Total cost is in the $350 - $375 range, takes less than an hour, and will pay itself back in productivity gains in no time.

Take Care

Congrats. I loved mine. Gave to my dad to use when I moved. Thinking about buying another. Possibly one of the bigger all woods or a tempest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to wait until the initial sticker shock wears off before I do any mods. Plus being a rookie on this machine I'd like to get comfortable with it before I try to make it faster. BTW I can split more wood just leisurely running it than I could balls out with the Speeco any day.
Mod #2 may be a 28gpm pump and take off the 22gpm. This has an 8 second cycle already and if I have someone feeding me logs to the lift I can stand to see the pushblock move faster. But that's waaayyy down the road.

Things I like about this splitter other than the obvious::
1) the 8 gallon gas tank that's on it that they never tell you about on the website. Makes for all day splitting before you have to refuel.
2) The sight glass/thermometer on the side of the hydraulic tank..>NICE!!
3) How quiet it is. Yes, I can have a conversation at full throttle to the guy loading me logs.
4) Hourmeter

Things I don't like:
1) The on/off switch and throttle need to be on the control panel. You have to walk around over to the engine to shut it off or adjust .
2) The exhaust heat blows on you while you split. Would be nice in the winter, but not in the summer. Your right leg gets pretty hot.
3) The 4 & 6 way wedges are not attached to the wedge lift. Causes the wedge to ride up as you split.
4) The unit is soooo long you have to walk all the way around the front tongue to load another log on your lift. Splitting from the lift side doesn't work for me cause I'm not left handed and it feels like I'm gonna get hurt with the log lift around my feet.

Other than that, this thing is a boss..Its like a 660 vs a 029 difference.

really nice machine should give you years of hard service. do you split to sell or just put wood up for yourself. either way it should be a real labor saver. enjoy

I have the tW5 in basically the same configuration. A few things on your con list will go away after you use it for a bit - The exhaust seems like a problem - mine is set up different so I don't have that issue. The 6 way will collect dust unless you get the perfect size tree that is straight with few knots. Then it will roll through some wood !
The fact that the 4/6 way come off I have found to be a good thing. You said you get trunk wood - I am in the same boat - its nice to take the wedge off and split a big crotch and then slip it back on to finish. In my opinion the tw 5/6 are meant to have multiple people when operating to be the most efficient. I have one loading the lift/ one running controls and respiting big pieces on that side / one clearing the table etc Mine has the 340 honda with a smaller tank - when it runs out of fuel we take a water break then fuel - push more wood to the splitter and go at it again ! enjoy your purchase !

I love mine. After using a maul and a home owner splitter TW-5 and a TW-6. The log lift and the wedge lift makes it a lot easier

Welcome to the club. I have had my TW-6 for about 2 years now and have split about 30 cord with it. Love it...

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

I'm going to wait until the initial sticker shock wears off before I do any mods. Plus being a rookie on this machine I'd like to get comfortable with it before I try to make it faster. BTW I can split more wood just leisurely running it than I could balls out with the Speeco any day.
Mod #2 may be a 28gpm pump and take off the 22gpm. This has an 8 second cycle already and if I have someone feeding me logs to the lift I can stand to see the pushblock move faster. But that's waaayyy down the road.

Things I like about this splitter other than the obvious::
1) the 8 gallon gas tank that's on it that they never tell you about on the website. Makes for all day splitting before you have to refuel.
2) The sight glass/thermometer on the side of the hydraulic tank..>NICE!!
3) How quiet it is. Yes, I can have a conversation at full throttle to the guy loading me logs.
4) Hourmeter

Things I don't like:
1) The on/off switch and throttle need to be on the control panel. You have to walk around over to the engine to shut it off or adjust .
2) The exhaust heat blows on you while you split. Would be nice in the winter, but not in the summer. Your right leg gets pretty hot.
3) The 4 & 6 way wedges are not attached to the wedge lift. Causes the wedge to ride up as you split.
4) The unit is soooo long you have to walk all the way around the front tongue to load another log on your lift. Splitting from the lift side doesn't work for me cause I'm not left handed and it feels like I'm gonna get hurt with the log lift around my feet.

Other than that, this thing is a boss..Its like a 660 vs a 029 difference.

I learned to split from the lift side. I mostly run it by myself so it doesn't make much sense to run back and forth. There's more room there then you think.

I also put a 40" round, cut at beam height next to the log lift. It's kind of like an extra work table. It's nice to set the wedge on if it needs to come off. It also catches some of the really big resplits. I'll try to remember to take a pic next time I'm splitting.

I think it's good that the wedge rides up sometimes. It helps keep splits from getting jammed up.

I also have an issue with the log lift hydraulic hoses. They seem to be right where a log can fall on them and rip them off. It also prevents me from working on that side also bc I don't want to snag my boot on them. There is nothing better than the 4 way on a good 30" round. Split it into 4 pieces, then lower the 4 way wedge a bit then split those quarters into eighths. That round will take about 2 minutes from log to pieces. Would have taken me 15 with the Speeco in vertical position.

The 6 way though.....you put a 16-20" diameter log on it and its one push. You get another guy loading those kind of logs on the log lift staging area and you could literally do 4 cords an hour. Easily.

But they say the TW6 can handle anything you throw at it...not so.. A big Elm round will stop the thing in its tracks quick. Even on the single wedge. Luckily I don't get a lot of Elm but when I do they are usually pretty big. I noodle those with the saw and let them dry out a bit before I hit them with the splitter. I was hoping I could just split them like everything else. Nope..

But what I do have a lot of is big rounds of red oak and post oak. Straight grained for the most part and that's where this machine shines. The four way wedges and the log lift is really why I got this thing and I have to say they work like expected.

How much was the TW 6? It looks like the log lift is extra? I have been looking at the built right splitter as it looks to be a good machine. Thanks

You might try adjusting the point where the low pressure side drops off on the 2 stage pump. It comes factory set at ~650 psi which isn't using all the HP you have with that v twin. (650*22)/(1714 *.85) = only about 10 hp. If you bumped it up to 1250psi you'd be using about 19hp. You'd stay in high flow mode longer and reduce the splitting time for free :)

I've found most logs on my 4 way split at around 1000 psi. I have my auto cycle valve set to return at 1500psi which has split all but a few stubborn logs.

Mike, please advise how to make these adjustments. Any special tooling needed?

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

Back