Got my Timberwolf TW6 this weekend..PICS!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a older tw5, great machine! Bought a New River Firewood to replace it. NRF, broke in a week. Back to the Tw5 !!

Thanks luckydozenfarm for the measurements,, my beam is 8x8 but only 3/8,,, gonna get top plated!!
BBB

We've had some >4' wet frozen red oak rounds up on that beam and never thought it might bend...the frame/axle..that we have bent. I'm glad the newer models have corrected this issue. I spent some time behind a built-rite as well and really liked the hideaway 4way splitter and the CAT diesel was very cool. Both should be awesome for >10k...

We've had some >4' wet frozen red oak rounds up on that beam and never thought it might bend...the frame/axle..that we have bent. I'm glad the newer models have corrected this issue. I spent some time behind a built-rite as well and really liked the hideaway 4way splitter and the CAT diesel was very cool. Both should be awesome for >10k...
Wood love to try one out,,,
My budget is 1k, am close,, 1in plate will add about 150lbs and I have it so,,,

I think a lot of splitter builders such as TW just concentrate on speed and power but forget about the little things like the proper beam working height, muffler location, and control locations. These sort of things make me question if an actual firewood expert like ourselves had any input on the design. Dont get me wrong the TW6 is a beast and Im glad I bought it but damn...sometimes I gotta wonder..

I've been building mine for 2 years now. I'm always changing things I'm on my 3rd 4 way wedge cause I bent the others It's a learning curve. Now I'm gonna remod my wedge to look like urs

I don't have any of the wedges cause them went in to the scrap bin. can't get a decent picture in the dark of my splitter

I've been building mine for 2 years now. I'm always changing things I'm on my 3rd 4 way wedge cause I bent the others It's a learning curve. Now I'm gonna remod my wedge to look like urs

If you are capable , I would build the splitter to flush the 4 way to the beam. Most of the stuff we get is tree service cast offs of various sizes, from "holy ****" that's big....to "how the heck am I going to move that thing" big...I use the two way many times when I see its a yard tree with lots o knots. Like lucky says its a heck of a machine that just needs some fine tuning to make it perfect-ER.
Oh and lucky, Big Elm is a deal breaker..noodle and wedge down to smaller manageable size is a must. Stuff will lockup a splitter no matter what kind.

I split lots of elm. Elms r standing dead everywhere around me. Anywhere from 6-24" and I get offered a lot of it cause many locals hate splitting it. Maybe cause they have a small splitter compare to me but I ain't itchn about it

I run EVERYTHING through the 4-way wedge on my TW 3HD,

standard.jpg

NOTHING has stopped it!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

It pushes even the biggest, toughest crotches right on through!

standard.jpg

No reading of the wood needed, it doesn't matter what direction it goes through,

standard.jpg

The governor may kick in a bit, but the ram doesn't even slow down,

standard.jpg

EVERYTHING I've found easily goes right through the 4-way,

standard.jpg

Timberwolf 4-way wedges are amazingly strong! I don't even bother take it off at all...

The TW3HD splitter has to be a BEST BUY, in a heavy duty splitter!

SR

Sawyer Rob. What size tractor, or gpm, are you running? Does the pump come with the splitter and your running the PTO?

The tractor I'm running my splitter on, is a Deutz 3006... It has 30 PTO hp, 2 cyl. diesel engine... These motors are known for their high torque, VERY low fuel use and long term durability. I like the 200 + hr oil changes too...

The TW3HD DOES come with the pump, it's a Prince 20 gpm single stage pump and it's PTO powered.

I REALLY like that I can raise or lower the splitter as needed. I also like the idea that the splitter is "self propelled, and is up out of the mud or snow.

I don't feel the need to have a log lift because of the way I use my splitter. I don't have to lift any big wood onto the beam, so no lift is needed. I don't see the need for wedge lift cyl. either. I just flip it for the size splits I want and leave it there...

I'm very happy with my splitter choice...

SR

I was thinking the same thing...I was gonna start a new thread called TW6 Mods after I get done with it for the winter. A conveyor wont work for me because we stack the wood right off of the grate onto pallets that we can move into the sunny field. My splitting area is amongst a bunch of trees for shade because we split during the summer. I agree, running a TW6 by yourself isn't all that faster than a Speeco, esp if you consider that the TW6 is 10 times the price. But with 3 guys, yeah you get a lot of wood split up fast. I'm thinking of getting more height out of the beam by running it up on some blocks. But then I realized the log lift wouldn't reach the ground after doing that. I'll figure out something I'm sure.

From your pictures, it looks like the top of the beam is about 23 inches off the ground. What do you feel would be the best height?

The splitter I am building will have a very similar layout to yours. I have it at 26" now and wondering if I should go a couple of inches higher. Easier to change now rather than later.

Thanks
Jerry

Back