Got my Woodmizer LT15

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoclones

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I finally did it. We drove to Portland, OR on Friday and picked up a brand new Woodmizer LT15. Before noon on Saturday I had it assembled and running :)

"It's always something." Before my first cut I was sweating over the possibility of hitting a nail. After a little research, I ordered a Bounty Hunter Land Star Metal Detector. Made those first cuts without it though...

I sawed some 2" slabs from Sycamore crotch and the resulting pieces are awsome! I'd like to mirror 2 of them to make a table but I think I need to buy a joiner first. Did I mention that it's always something?

Now to get a couple of logs for the lumber for my solar kiln...

Butch
http://www.WoodHacker.com/

Pics

I finally dulled my first blade :)
Today, I decided to mill 2" thick slabs to be used for seats and backs on my carved benches. The log I had was too large for the mill so I use the chainsaw mill to remove a really big slab from 2 adjacent sides. I ended up with a 29" x 22" x 5' cant which I milled as well as milling the slabs I chainsawed off.

My girlfriend asked why it's called a 'cant'. I said, "Because you can't roll it." I had to rotate this one with the tractor...

LT15-SycamoreCant.jpg

The Woodmizer gave me 14 x 2" slabs, 2 x 1.5" slabs and 1 x 1" slab.

BenchSlabsSycamore-1.jpg

In a perfect world, the benches I make with these slabs could net me enough money to pay for the mill. It's kind of exciting...

Looking forward to seeing the benches Butch, I know you do nice work and these will most likely be no exception. Are you carving the legs with a chainsaw?

I finally did it. We drove to Portland, OR on Friday and picked up a brand new Woodmizer LT15. Before noon on Saturday I had it assembled and running :)

"It's always something." Before my first cut I was sweating over the possibility of hitting a nail. After a little research, I ordered a Bounty Hunter Land Star Metal Detector. Made those first cuts without it though...

I sawed some 2" slabs from Sycamore crotch and the resulting pieces are awsome! I'd like to mirror 2 of them to make a table but I think I need to buy a joiner first. Did I mention that it's always something?

Now to get a couple of logs for the lumber for my solar kiln...

Butch
http://www.WoodHacker.com/

I have a Woodmizer LT40 -don't sweat the nails too much, I do own a metal detector as well though. I usually can get away with hitting a nail or two and the blade will still track straight, although it will slow down some and produce a rougher finish. The LT 40 has a longer band, so it might not be effected as much when the blade hits a nail, depending on the size of the nail it usually will dull around 3 or 4 teeth on my blade. I once hit 14 nails in a log, needless to say that blade was a goner!;)

Hmmm.... I seem to be having a problem seeing those pictures Butch....

I guess he may be having too much fun to post pics. :blob2: :laugh:

Hmmm.... I seem to be having a problem seeing those pictures Butch....

I guess he may be having too much fun to post pics. :blob2: :laugh:

All right.... Today I finished my first bench from the Woodmizer slabs and roughed out a second bench. I'll post photos of them tomorrow.

Butch

I'm not a huge fan of most bear carvings but I really like your benches. If my wife saw those she'd be sending me to Wash. directly. Looks like your investment will definitely pay off. Good luck.

I like carving dragons, wizards and such but compared to bears, those are slow sellers. So the dragon bench is still something I want to carve. Below are pics of one of my dragons painted with stone texture paint.

Prices... Testing the waters still. I've listed them on Craigslist at $1,200 for the bears playing on the bench and $750 for the strong bears holding up the bench. I may be a little high on price for the strong bears but I think the price is good yet has a little room for haggling on the full bench.

This is the first bench I ever made. It was sold before the varnish was dry! When the customer came back and we loaded it into his truck, I asked if he was happy with the price. ($500) He replied, "I'd have payed what ever you asked." Dang! Too late to raise the price now...

bench_bears-1.jpg

dragon_granite_left.jpg

dragon_granite_righit.jpg

dragon_granite_back.jpg

I like carving dragons, wizards and such but compared to bears, those are slow sellers. So the dragon bench is still something I want to carve. Below are pics of one of my dragons painted with stone texture paint.

Prices... Testing the waters still. I've listed them on Craigslist at $1,200 for the bears playing on the bench and $750 for the strong bears holding up the bench. I may be a little high on price for the strong bears but I think the price is good yet has a little room for haggling on the full bench.

This is the first bench I ever made. It was sold before the varnish was dry! When the customer came back and we loaded it into his truck, I asked if he was happy with the price. ($500) He replied, "I'd have payed what ever you asked." Dang! Too late to raise the price now...

bench_bears-1.jpg

dragon_granite_left.jpg

dragon_granite_righit.jpg

dragon_granite_back.jpg

You have an awesome skill set there pricing has to be difficult!

Back