Got some big wood...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeigler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Figured I would post some pics of the wood we had dropped off the other day. A buddy of mine works for a mulch and landscape company which also does firewood.

He wanted to get rid of the stuff that wouldn't fit through the processor so here is some of it. He has about 1-2 more tri-axle loads. We figured that we would split a load between us and see how it goes. Couldn't really beat $250 for the whole load and getting it dropped at my doorstep.

attachment.php

And here's after hacking at it for a little while...

attachment.php

attachment.php

And.... he didn't want them ? Nice score for you. Keep sawing the lawn needs mulched to stand the freeze..

We have all the free wood we can handle for the most part but I cut wood primarily to sell so it was a quick return for me. Sold a cord and paid for my half plus a little. Plus I couldn't beat having it dropped at my house. Don't have to worry about getting out to the woodground and carrying wood too far. Just have to wheel the splitter around.

And when I need some of the logs lifted up he brings the log truck in and puts the big stuff off the ground to make it a little easier on the back. :clap:

Thinking about getting the rest of the stuff dropped here also. It's all 20" plus in diameter but there were only 2 or 3 huge huge logs. The rest are pretty manageable and its all great wood... Oak, Cherry, Honey Locust, and Maple.

Hard to tell volume by pictures, but I think he over-charged you for something that was essentially a waste product for him.Nice to get it delivered, which is worth something, but I think $25/cord would be as high as I'd go.You still have a lot of work to do before you have firewood.

There's a lot of splitting there before you have firewood. Ive got quite a bit of that sized for next to nothing.The smaller ,easier to work with rounds is what everyone here wants.

Hard to tell volume by pictures, but I think he over-charged you for something that was essentially a waste product for him.Nice to get it delivered, which is worth something, but I think $25/cord would be as high as I'd go.You still have a lot of work to do before you have firewood.

I'll get some more pictures as we cut our way through the pile. It was a tri-axle load which usually hold about 6-8 cord. It really isn't much more work than going out in the woods with my Chevy Trailblazer and trailer and trying to get close to the wood piles, then trying to get turned around in the woods if I am lucky enough to drive through an area. Then I have to load trailer and get out of the woods, it is only about a mile from the house so that is nice, but then have to unload the trailer so I can split all the wood.

Really couldn't beat having it delivered. A buddy and I split the cost, work on it together at my house, the wife is happy that I am not in the woods by myself... so it all works out. Thinking of it that way, the price wasn't bad to me and I already recouped my money.

There's a lot of splitting there before you have firewood. Ive got quite a bit of that sized for next to nothing.The smaller ,easier to work with rounds is what everyone here wants.

I don't mind the work, I like being outside. Helps me with time management also as if I do get out to cut wood it is usually only a couple hours at best. I try to help out my wife as much as I can watching the little one while she is going back to school.

I'll get some more pictures as we cut our way through the pile. It was a tri-axle load which usually hold about 6-8 cord. It really isn't much more work than going out in the woods with my Chevy Trailblazer and trailer and trying to get close to the wood piles, then trying to get turned around in the woods if I am lucky enough to drive through an area. Then I have to load trailer and get out of the woods, it is only about a mile from the house so that is nice, but then have to unload the trailer so I can split all the wood.

Really couldn't beat having it delivered. A buddy and I split the cost, work on it together at my house, the wife is happy that I am not in the woods by myself... so it all works out. Thinking of it that way, the price wasn't bad to me and I already recouped my money.

Wow.It doesn't look like that much wood, but it is hard to tell from pictures.Maybe it is time for another "guess how much wood" thread.As long as you are satisfied it was a good deal, and it sure is nice not having to haul it.

Wow.It doesn't look like that much wood, but it is hard to tell from pictures.Maybe it is time for another "guess how much wood" thread.As long as you are satisfied it was a good deal, and it sure is nice not having to haul it.

It will be easier to tell once we start getting it split, it wasn't as full as a normal load just because of the size of the logs and not being as straight. Threre is some that is hard to see though. I think there was about 16-17 logs total. I'll get more pics :)

Last edited:
The next time he wants to get rid of some wood you need to tell him you dont need any but he can dump his logs there. I think the pay was a little on the high side though. The logs you have look very good and seasoned from what I can see.

My experinces is the smaller the logs the better you can handle them. I like most of my logs under 16 inches. That way you can handle them better and once you get them quartered up it is just about the right size piece.

If I get some logs under 8 inches I dont even split them. I think they will season fine when the next burn season comes.

Any ways if you like it we love it !

Last edited:
A bit $high$, but the delivery is everything to me. Most of the work is getting it out, transport, and placing it on site. Your end is the fun part :chainsaw: .

Latest posts

Back