Got some cutting time in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For the first time since 2013 we had a decent temps and ground conditions to cut some wood. Like everybody else we are going to be a bit short so we took advantage of the day to cut a truck load. We usually don't fool around in the snow but this had a hard crust on top. Had the walnut cut for veneer last fall and we were into the tops. Non-seasoned Walnut isnt going to win any awards for best firewood but we have to clean up whats laying in the fields before spring. Youngest son had his 361 and I took my 550 Husky (sweetheart) and my $45 Earthquake. Son doesnt bother to set to round up to split them. Just swings golf club style, LOL. In an hour we had more than would fit on the truck. Fun day with the son and now we have enough wood,, unless it stays at 0 all of March, supposed ot be 4-5 below tonight, Grrr.
29lkyed.jpg

For the first time since 2013 we had a decent temps and ground conditions to cut some wood. Like everybody else we are going to be a bit short so we took advantage of the day to cut a truck load. We usually don't fool around in the snow but this had a hard crust on top. Had the walnut cut for veneer last fall and we were into the tops. Non-seasoned Walnut isnt going to win any awards for best firewood but we have to clean up whats laying in the fields before spring. Youngest son had his 361 and I took my 550 Husky (sweetheart) and my $45 Earthquake. Son doesnt bother to set to round up to split them. Just swings golf club style, LOL. In an hour we had more than would fit on the truck. Fun day with the son and now we have enough wood,, unless it stays at 0 all of March, supposed ot be 4-5 below tonight, Grrr.
29lkyed.jpg

You're right was a good weekend to cut. Ground was nice and froze here too BUT spent an hour extra of time prying frozen logs out of the frost so wasn't very productive.

Kinda brave posting that pic. Somebody last week posted how bad walnut is for firewood LOL

:laugh:

If the walnut in the pic is part of the top, that was one BIG walnut. Not great to burn right now; if it can't wait, some time spent stacked next a stove will prod it along. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Had both of my boys out Sat. too (11 and 9). They were wheel barrowing the splits after I swung the fiskars. The 11 y.o. had a party in the afternoon so Max, the 9 y.o. and I went to try to finish off a 36' ash on the edge of a soybean field. It was too wet for my 2 WD wood hauling truck, so I pushed the wheelbarrow through the sticky mud. Got a lot cut, but not nearly as much as i had planned. Good for boys to see the old man struggle, sweat, and bust his ass along side them. we had a lot of fun.

If the walnut in the pic is part of the top, that was one BIG walnut. Not great to burn right now; if it can't wait, some time spent stacked next a stove will prod it along. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Yup, and that pic is in the smalls. They cut nothing smaller than 26" head high. Small ends guessing 18"? Total of 30 trees. We will burning lotsa walnut the next few years. We have 20 cord of dry wood stacked in the farm woodshed. I get firewood lazy this time of year, LOL. 10 of the walnut tops are in the tillable fields and i have to have them moved prior to spring work so cut and burn,, just this one load.

Back