Got some good wood...and some basswood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up a couple nice truckloads of hickory from a tree service job site. That is almost too easy! After the tree service guy and his men helped me load the second truck and trailer load I thought to myself "Why have I been fighting bugs and hard knotty trees in the thicket all this time!?"

Then I remembered...I didn't get to run the chainsaw all day today!:greenchainsaw:

Anyhow... I had to take some basswood(Linden) too and I know its about like burning cardboard but I was just wondering if it would season quickly,too. Just thinking if I keep it dry I could maybe use it for some springtime quick fires to knock off the chill. What's the estimate on the Hickory drying time,too. I've never burned it but heard it burns and seasons like oak.

my father burns quite a bit of basswood, when dry it burns ok. Good fall\spring wood. I alway have some pignut and shagbark hickory it seems to be ready to go after 9-12 months, aided by the summer sun and fall wind.

I think drying time has a lot to do with how and when you split and stack it. I try to have a single row of red oak and hickory 2ft wide 4ft high 100 ft long by mid summer. this works out to a little over 6 cords I have it in full sun uncovered.Then in sept start cutting cherry and gum, lots less drying time needed for these. Lots less heat in them as well.Anyway thats how i feed the monster in the back yard. Ive had the owb since 91 and have never really got on top of the wood situation
Jerry

Basswood burns about the same as cottonwood, but it's easier to split. It's rather surprising that basswood has such low density because it grows so slowly compared to cottonwood. Wood carvers and lathe turners love the stuff because it's so soft and the annular rings are rather close together. It's also about the whitest wood there is--almost as white as alder. It dries very fast, similar to soft maple, so if cut green today, you should be able to start burning it in mid-fall after splitting.

Your best best for using it as firewood is to mix it with the slower burning woods, like the hickory you collected. It will burn hot and rapidly, getting the slow-burning woods up to snuff. I like to mix both basswood and maple with oak, locust, hackberry, ash, and mulberry.

I found that variety is the spice of life when it comes time to burn firewood, so you stumbled onto a great combination. :cheers:

cedar etc.

A good fast starter like cherry or cedar a couple of big chunks of oak or hickory, my little cast iron heater in the shop will still have coals when i get home the next day. Havent put antifreeze in the race car for the past 10 yrs or more. Est. bout 3/4 cord per year for shop. Problem with the less dense wood in the furnace is it will burn out overnite in cold weather, so just use the dense wood for the coolest part of the year. I suspect the new owners of the owbs have little idea of what ther in for in terms of wood useage. If I were smart enough i would post a picture of what 8 cord of wood looks like.Anybody wanna help these new wood burners out with a reaility check?

J. W. said, "If I were smart enough I would post a picture of what 8 cord of wood looks like."
-----------------
As soon as I get a chance, I will post a picture of 8 cords that I have brought in since June, unsplit. At this point, I only have about 7.8 cords, so I don't dare brag.

My mostly unsplit billets form a pile that is 5' high, 40' long, and 6' thick (three log width layers, with an average log width of 20". I'm a bit short of 8 cords, so I need to keep cutting until I get there. Then I'll post a pic for J. W. :chainsaw:

Last edited:
well heres 35 face cord or 11.6666666 cord plus a couple locust fence posts

35fcordstack.jpg

not best pic but close enough....i've done that all and 4 more face cord between last christmas eve and 2 days ago all by myself, 1 chain saw, and 1 splittin maul and a couple steel wedges. I've got close to $2,000 worth of wood there at $55 green face-going price for central ny

Back