Got wood left?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW.. you guys have alot of wood.. I starting to think I don't have enough space for all the wood I'll end up having if I'm 2-3 years ahead.. better start plannig I guess..

Here's a pic of what I have now, plus abit more you can't see.

Take the wood away and heat with gas and see how she likes it if they have to pay the gas bill. Women like the house sitting at 74 degrees in the winter. The wood cut's the gas bill by at least 70% for me. It's funny how things change when you point out the fact's. I am lucky as she knows how much fun I have with the hound cutting and splitting and how much money my hard work saves. Enough to by a new pair of designer jeans twice a month?

So true.. My wife has been abit cranky lately because I've been keeping the house on the cold side lately. I told myself I was coming out of this season with X amount of wood left and now I'm at that point so I scrouging around tyring to find other wood to burn. I even turned the heat on the other night in the bedroom because she was so cranky! then she went and turned if off because she said it smelled funny.. All I know is that I'm not touching that pile until next year.
:greenchainsaw:

I have lots of other softer wood I can burn instead!

Here is next years supply. I need to finish up with the rest of the splitting but I was hoping to leave it like this until I stack it next fall.

I am down to my last 1/3cord of "emergency wood" I seemed to burn more this year than last although I don't think it was any colder? I have almost 10 cords stacked at my house with a good 2 more to get this April(ash and cherry) I also keep several cords of wood down at my in-laws 60 acre farm. I have a cord of elm(it was standing dead) down there I might have to get if April continues to stay cold.

I will end of burning right around 5 cords of wood in my stove. So with one stove I currently have about 2 years worth of wood. I am thinking about getting a jotul oslo as a 2nd stove and that would cut into my 2 year ahead supply. I guess I will just have to go out and cut down some more trees!

When I finished restacking , I have a little over a full cord left over from last year for what I intended to use at the house. There is another cord or so that didn't sell. It will get moved to the front with whats in the drive now getting stacked behind it. I figure I came out of it in pretty good shape. It still gets in the 20's here at night so the fire hasnt quite gone out. At this rate I could burn all Summer before breaking into next years wood.

hello everybody

Hey, just discovered the site. You guys help me realize that it's ok to be obsessed with wood scrounging. I have about a cord left; some of that not quite ready for the stove yet. I just have a 2.7 liter reg cab toyota tacoma and a 6X12 landscaping trailer, so I get as much as the truck can safely handle when I can. I'd have a hell of a lot more wood on hand, but I've been giving truckloads to a good friend of mine that has young kids and a drafty old house. My pleasure though, I get the wood free and they don't currently have a truck to get it themselves. My goal was 5 or more burnable cords for both my friend and myself ready for the upcoming fall, but after reading some of your posts and seeing your woodpiles, I want to go bigger. Cool website.

I started this winter with zero firewood. I have had a hard time finding a place to cut. My mother in law used 7 cords this year, I used 3 so it has been a struggle to keep up. She is still burning but I will probably end up with about 3 cords left over so I'm feeling good about next winter. The city is taking down 3 large oaks in the park and I am getting at least 2 of them so that should get me another 3 or 4 cords. The county is widening the road in front of one of my customers house so the are taking out about a half mile of hedge row. They said they would leave all the firewood sized wood for me if I will haul it off so that will give me at least another 20 cords.

Got just shy of a cord left, between birch, fir and lodepole pine. Burnt about 6 cords. Spent 29 dollars on natural gas heating the place since august. (we were away for 2 weeks in January, otherwise probably would have been lower)

Either way, snow's melting rapidly and I'm moving in may. Should have enough to last just shy of then, but if not... I'll find some more pine!

Bah-humbug to those scared to burn pine! Kept me warm all winter!

Still have the next two to three years wood in the yard. Depends on the winter if I burn 4 or up to 7 cords. Started splitting out at my property over the weekend. Figure I've got 3-4 cords in various piles there.

we're getting a surprise late spring freeze in Tulsa.
thought I was done for the year, then this cold snap comes in...

down to last bit of seasoned wood with a good 5-6 cords of Oak that still need to be split. most are in large 3ft rounds.

my JUCA wood insert is unusual in it's ability to burn green wood cleanly. it burns so hot that even green wood produces almost no smoke after initial ramp up to operating temps.

it's like a little mini blast furnace. fresh outside air is pulled strongly into combustion area by draft produced by careful design of entire 12 cubic feet firebox.

the effect is very similar to forced air used in new hyper efficient natural gas furnaces.

I got enough cut to finish the week off. I have a couple cord of pine and poplar logs to buzz up to get me thru the end of May when I shut the boiler down...

I actually ran out in January (Duh!)...I've got 8 cords or so ready for next year..about done for the season,resume in the fall.....time to get the outdoor kitchen and the '72 ragtop ready for summer!

Take the wood away and heat with gas and see how she likes it if they have to pay the gas bill. Women like the house sitting at 74 degrees in the winter. The wood cut's the gas bill by at least 70% for me. It's funny how things change when you point out the fact's. I am lucky as she knows how much fun I have with the hound cutting and splitting and how much money my hard work saves. Enough to by a new pair of designer jeans twice a month?

Yeah she likes sitting in the house, she hates the cold. I actually heat my house with shelled corn. The firewood is strictly for sale, and spending cash, little bit of mad money. I think shed be happy if I quit tinkering with firewood. I dont really make any money doing it, just when I get any money from firewood, I go out and buy another chainsaw, chains few bars etc.

My first year with the OWB, too be honest I got my butt kicked this year, I have been burning willow that I bought from a tree service, I am going to make it, I just need to find a good source for wood. I bought logs from two different tree services, it starts out well then, the loads get worse less hardwood and bigger logs as time passes. I ended up with a huge 5 1/2 foot diameter basswood, It was way more work than it was worth, I did burn it up however. I did not pay much for the willow, 150 bucks and got four dump trucks full, the last guy was straight up about the wood situation. He said most of oak, maple and elm goes to friends of the family. I plan to see if he can do better this summer. Have about 12 cords of wood to split for next year, I need about 8 more to get a good comfort level going. The plus side is that I am getting in better shape, the minus side is my wife figured out I love to cut firewood, it is hard to convince her it is work.

Last edited:
Get rid of them!

My first year with the OWB, too be honest I got my butt kicked this year, I have been burning willow that I bought from a tree service, I am going to make it, I just need to find a good source for wood. I bought logs from two different tree services, it starts out well then, the loads get worse less hardwood and bigger logs as time passes. I ended up with a huge 5 1/2 foot diameter basswood, It was way more work than it was worth, I did burn it up however. I did not pay much for the willow, 150 bucks and got four dump trucks full, the last guy was straight up about the wood situation. He said most of oak, maple and elm goes to friends of the family. I plan to see if he can do better this summer. Have about 12 cords of wood to split for next year, I need about 8 more to get a good comfort level going. The plus side is that I am getting in better shape, the minus side is my wife figured out I love to cut firewood, it is hard to convince her it is work.

If they are even charging you for the basswood and willow, you are getting hosed. They would have to PAY to get rid of that stuff. I take pine as a favor to the guys who bring me Oak, Maple, and Hickory. You might as well pay for grapple loads and get the size you want...and save many hours of work messing with wood you really don't want. Find a new tree service to hit up. Good Luck! :chainsaw:

Just started cutting last fall. Burnt all winter with the OWB. This is what I have left.

saw005.jpg

saw006.jpg

saw007.jpg

saw008.jpg

saw009.jpg

saw010.jpg

saw011.jpg

saw013.jpg

PS, my wife hollered acrosst the yard to me as I was clicking these pics: "Why are you taking pictures of the woodpile? It's for those firewood geeks you hang out with on the Internet, isn't it?" :laugh:

Anyone else's significant other bust his chops for taking pics of woodpiles? LOL

You all are referred to as my "woody friends" by my wife. She doesn't understand the excitement of finding a new wood source or the satisfaction of watching the woodpile grow after each weekend's work. She does appreciate the crackling fire in the fireplace though.;)

I had about 4 cords and had to cut 3 more cords. so besides my greenhouse for storage I am also building me a lean too,so next year I wont have to cut in the winter time.

Latest posts

Back