Gotta love this splitter design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKKAMAAN

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Finally a hydraulic wood splitter design that bring something new to the table....I love the box style wedge and the bi-directional splitting..
<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DbTCeai9ces?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0xe1600f&amp;color2=0xfebd01&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DbTCeai9ces?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0xe1600f&amp;color2=0xfebd01&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>

That is an interesting design for sure! I wonder if they are super expensive?

Standing on the log lift like the operator does and pulling the wrong lever could send you flying though! :hmm3grin2orange:

I like how it moves the wood away from the splitter, also the uniform splits would be nice to stack when your done. :cheers:

I don't like all the wood waste with the smaller pices but you'll never run out of kindlin. Looks to me the best option for the rounds after it is too far to carry them to the splitter would be a bucket or back the splitter up to the pile again.

Not alot of room for error when cutting the rounds I wounder if putting an auto cycle or some kind of dual detent on the valve would be nice. The log lift needs to be curved so you don't have to roll the logs so much off the lift.

End of Rant:dizzy:

That is an interesting design for sure! I wonder if they are super expensive?

Standing on the log lift like the operator does and pulling the wrong lever could send you flying though!:hmm3grin2orange:

what he said...

I like how it moves the wood away from the splitter, also the uniform splits would be nice to stack when your done. :cheers:

I don't like all the wood waste with the smaller pices but you'll never run out of kindlin. Looks to me the best option for the rounds after it is too far to carry them to the splitter would be a bucket or back the splitter up to the pile again.

Not alot of room for error when cutting the rounds I wounder if putting an auto cycle or some kind of dual detent on the valve would be nice. The log lift needs to be curved so you don't have to roll the logs so much off the lift.

End of Rant:dizzy:

A closed center system with electric solenoid valves instead of manual will give you unlimited options for all kind of auto cycle and more...

I like it, but the stroke seems to be a bit short. Maybe 18" max. I usually aim for 18 inches which means I get plenty up to 20". I bet it is expensive! I wonder what it would cost to build? I'd probably eliminate the log lift. I wouldn't need it here.

I like it, but the stroke seems to be a bit short. Maybe 18" max. I usually aim for 18 inches which means I get plenty up to 20". I bet it is expensive! I wonder what it would cost to build? I'd probably eliminate the log lift. I wouldn't need it here.
My thoughts exactly. We cut our firewood at 24 inches and anything smaller seems to be an excuse to run the chain saw more! :)

Saw this design at the Almelund MN threshing show. I was less impressed with the guy selling it than I was the machine. Guy claimed 28 tons either direction, yet told me it was a standard cylinder.

My opinion is it's probably a good machine for the conditions it was built for, but not anything I would want. Too wide to take in the woods, box wedge doesn't allow for creative splitting (I'd hate to get some of my stringy elm stuck in there), etc.

BTW price if I remember right was 8 grand give or take. Builder is somewhat local to me, about an hour away.

Neat design, I like it. A few things I would change are:

1. Needs a bigger engine and a bigger pump, cycle time is kinda slow compared to mine.

2. Looks like the splits are a bit too small for my tastes. A small change to the wedge could solve that though. Maybe 1" more in both dimensions. 6x6 would be about right.

3. As was said, looks like it only handles about 18".. needs to be the standard 24" of other splitters.

Ian

If you go to Youtube and watch the video there you will be able to see answers to many of your questions in the comment area below the video. Here are some quotes that will answer many of your questions.

I have nothing to do with this design splitter, I just like it.

the one the video is 9,500.00 new and i have a 24 inch stroke splitter with a bigger engine and pump for 11,500.00

The cube wedges can be unbolted from the machine and can put any size wedges on there that you want. No, the wood does not get get jammed in the wedges. we can build wedges that have one to four cutting edges in it, so it will make 2, 3, 4 or 5 cubes in one stroke.

It splits knots just fine. I'll get some more video of it splitting knots and some Y logs. The splitter was made for splitting nice stackable wood fast with the least amount of effort. The Y's and ugly knots just don't make nice chunks

The whole system is trailer mounted, so you can continuously back into the pile of wood, so you never get stuck or buried with split wood, leaving you free to pull away at any time. The chutes on both sides fold up for storage or transport.

Wow... $11,500, and you still have to handle every round. Isn't that getting into the entry level processor price point?

Ian

I like the splitter. The stroke isn;t a big deal for the people the splitter is aimed at. Most suppliers cut wood 16-18". A saw a video I can't find anymore on youtube of a splitter a lot like this. It was a lot bigger. You could put 3-4 big rounds in it at a time. The top plate was a lot longer. It was a single stroke. It would push forward and split the blocks through the same kind of wedges. The rest of the log would stay on top of the plate. When you retracted the cylinder it had a bar on the back side that pulled the pieces back into the splitting well. The thing never stopped moving. The guy would stack rounds on top of each other. It was very slick. It has a fold down gate that fit right into the back of a truck or trailer. The splitter was very big and not tow-able. But man it put the wood out.

Scott

That's one the best designs and ideas I have seen in years. One man, one machine, bi-directional, powerful, safe to operate, and efficient. Plus, it's a back saver. Pricey, but everything that works well tends to cost money.

Thanks for posting this puppy. :clap:

That thing could easily incorporate some design changes and really be a super production machine.

Notice in the video the percentage of small pieces and all the debris. This is a classic problem with box wedges, small pieces and lots and lots of kindling junk. If you park that machine in one place and leave it there you will spend a lot of time each day cleaning up and removing junk from around it. If you don't believe it just ask anyone that runs a processor with a 4, 6 or 8-way wedge how much junk builds up in a day. :dizzy:

One company (can't remember the name) has a cleanout system as an option for their processor, they know it is such a PITA problem.

Back