Gotta love this splitter design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curly, I get plenty just from my two-way! I always have more kindling than I can use.

Maybe it is just the wood, but the SS I am using generates virtually no waste kindling. Really amazing how clean the area around the splitter is. I think it is because the wedge cuts when it cannot split.

Yeah, I think the wood type has a lot to do with it. Still, I agree about the box design - it's going to produce more slivers.

I want to make a box design wedge for my splitter. I sell cook wood so the slivers can be sold. I love the SS and it's fast for making cook wood. There is one problem for me. When I split 3 cord of cook wood my arm really stars to cramp bad. Your talking about an average of 1600-1700 pieces for a cord of wood. Yes a true cord 3 stack 4'x8'x16". If you spit 3 of those a day your talking 5k plus splits a day. That is a lot of lever pulling(insert locker room humor here) The arm really start to cramp up. The trash from the box splitter could be run through my OWB for the kiln.

Scott

That thing could easily incorporate some design changes and really be a super production machine.
So I've been thinking about this all day and I've come up with a design that I think will work well for high production outfits.

The way I see it, the machine in the video isn't really that much faster than a splitter with a 4/6/8 way wedge. With one of those, one pass and the round is done, but with the Tempest design you have to take multiple passes to complete each round. Even with the time savings from not having to retract the ram, I still think the single pass would be faster.

So my idea is a bit different. Think SuperSplit for the action, but imagine how fast it would be if you were pushing/pulling this box wedge and have the wood drop onto a conveyor below the wedge and the rounds feeding from above via a hopper type of system. That's just a rough description but I think the concept is sound. You could have a one way cutting stroke or two way, depending on your production need.

I think I'm going to draw that up and animate it, just for fun.

Last edited:
Looked at their website - actually located pretty close to me.

$10,000 is a lot of money, but it is closer to a firewood processor than your average log splitter. The log lift is nice, and those tables let the split stuff run right into a trailer if you let them.

But also noted the following in their warranty section:

attachment.php

So it might be better for 'clean wood' and production of wood for sale. Or maybe you want more of a conventional splitter for 'ugly wood'.

Philbert

yea, i'll pass, too.

the music alone was enough to turn me off...after 10 seconds I had enough.

wtf were they thinking when they made that video and decided that jazz would be the best?????

yea, i'll pass, too.

the music alone was enough to turn me off...after 10 seconds I had enough.

wtf were they thinking when they made that video and decided that jazz would be the best?????

I didn't put that backing music to it, i had the camera sittin on the tool box in the tractor an that just was what was on the radio!

Looks good, but its a shame you can only split 12inch logs. But still, for home grown pretty nice.

In Europe they use very short wood. All of their wood heating devices are set up for wood around 8" long. I don't know what that converts to in MM off the top of my head, but it is pretty standard if you watch many wood production videos from that side of the pond.

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts

Back