Government regulation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axeman73

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys I heard that the government wants to regulate guys with pickups and equipment trailers by requiring them to have a CDL whats your opinion and what have you heard? I'm wondering who would be effected farmers, loggers, landscapers, maybe a guy with a camper? Really are they serious:bang::bang::bang:

Like this???
230304d1332459072-test-drive0001-jpg

View attachment 230304

Hey guys I heard that the government wants to regulate guys with pickups and equipment trailers by requiring them to have a CDL whats your opinion and what have you heard? I'm wondering who would be effected farmers, loggers, landscapers, maybe a guy with a camper? Really are they serious:bang::bang::bang:

All of the above are already regulated by DOT. If your trailer is over 10K gvwr, you will need a Class A CDL, unless you can come up with an "under 16K" vehicle to tow it with.

Federal DOT rules don't care what you do for a living. It's not even one of the questions they ask you when you get pulled over. I'd keep that camper under 10k if I were you.

My lawn crews are already obliged to have class "E" licenses, and we must provide federal annual inspections for each truck, regardless of weight rating. Why? We have the misfortune of living close to state line. Cross over with a commercial vehicle of any weight, and they got you.

If you are doing business with a vehicle, but it is titled in your name, you might keep them off your back for years. Put it in the company name, and your ass belongs to DOT.

No.

Say you are hooked up to an F-450 with a trailer that is over 10k GVWR. Unless your truck GVWR is less than 16k (unlikely), you have just become a Class A vehicle.

The trailer GVWR is added to the truck GVWR. When it all adds up to over 26k, it's time to get a CDL!

Note: if you are towing a 10k or less trailer, even if your combined gross carrier weight rating is over 26K, you still don't need the CDL. Example: an F-550 with a 17.5K GVWR is towing a 10k GVWR trailer. Even though the combined GVWR is over 26k, no CDL is required.

I have a 20K tri-axle trailer that we routinely pull behind our one ton. Unless I can find a truck to pull it that has less than a 6K GVWR, any driver towing that trailer is going to need a CDL.

I think there may be some exceptions for privately owned buses, large motor homes, and large camper trailers, but I don't know those rules.

I spoke with the California Highway Patrol about 10 years ago when this came up. I had a 14,000 GVW gooseneck trailer to haul my tractor and I pulled it with my Dodge pickup. They said if I changed to a flatbed from a pickup bed I would need a CDL. I would have to provide a commercial vehicle (over 26K) and trailer to take my driving test even though I would never drive one!

I had a Class B CDL at the time so I figured I would just play dumb if I got pulled over. That's easy for me to do.

Maybe this will help:

EC01AP91.039.png

Or this;

Subpart F - Vehicle groups and endorsements

§ 383.91Commercial motor vehicle groups:
(1) Combination vehicle (Group A)—Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
(2) Heavy Straight Vehicle (Group B)—Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.
(3) Small Vehicle (Group C)—Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A nor that of Group B as contained in this section, but that either is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR part 172, subpart F).

These are the Federal reg's and the above is a generalization. Not included are the regulations concerning recreational vehicles and such. MOST of the time, they are exempt. States can make the standards different from what the Fed's require but they cannot omit anything in the standards.

Last edited:
I spoke with the California Highway Patrol about 10 years ago when this came up. I had a 14,000 GVW gooseneck trailer to haul my tractor and I pulled it with my Dodge pickup. They said if I changed to a flatbed from a pickup bed I would need a CDL. I would have to provide a commercial vehicle (over 26K) and trailer to take my driving test even though I would never drive one!

Gooseneck, flatbed, pickup bed, or otherwise, it makes no difference whatsoever, and it never has. They were misleading you.

You take the test in the vehicle you are going to drive. 10 years ago, they may have been trying to make you get a semi-truck for the test, since you can test out on a baby truck, then tell every employer that you are qualified for a semi-truck.

Thank you all I seem to be getting the straight scoop and a good laugh here what I heard was gossip from a tow truck driver so I m glad I brought up to the forum to see if this is truth or an urban legend thanks please kep the info coming

Latest posts

Back