Granberg File-N-Joint, Revisited

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, older model. These devices have been made / sold under many names, as well as private labels (e.g. ‘Sears’, ‘Homelite’, etc. ).

Earlier versions had shorter bases (‘file-n-guide’). Longer bases (‘file-n-joint’) came later.

The numbers probably mean something other than patent date or manufacture date. Might be easier to date from the accompanying literature. I’m guessing mid 1960’s to early 1970’s?

Nice file guide in any case.

Philbert
You could be right regarding the date. Can't date the literature - interesting nonetheless.

Tom,Does that say Zürich on the body of the sharpener? So it may have been made in Austria? But the literature was from Canada? That’s really nice I never seen a shopping like that. I’ve got both stihl model When you anchored to your bench the other one you just put on the bar. Is that one there are some cool. Nice find
Zurich yes. I think the literature is German. Branded Solo at the bottom but it's Oregon info.

I Googled ’J. Hunziker’, and, apparently, it was a brand of chainsaw.

There was also a post from someone else who found a similar filing guide, on a chainsaw collector forum (unable to post a link):

View attachment 938576

Philbert
Interesting. Thanks. It definitely works with modern chain.

It is similar in appearance to one of the older STIHL filing guides I have. They probably paid a third-party to manufacture it with their company’s name on it, to be sold as an accessory.

Philbert
I just did some digging and found this (FG1?) which, apart from some minor differences, looks to be the same item or a very close cousin.
STIHL.jpgZURICH 1.jpg

I've never got any traction on this. This was the original Granberg setup for square filing. I had one loggin' and then tried to get another in the mid 80's....but Granberg discontinued it. Best hand jig for square filing. Using a progressive raker gauge, you can delete all the anguish in getting the cutters to the same length.

Interestingly, after struggling for yrs to fortify a broken base, I finally realized the base of the square file jig is the same as the standard metal File 'n joints made now.

So if you have a home metal mill, you could fashion the file end pieces as in the pictures or actually better. In another thread with Philbert, we actually talk about this and a retired machinist did it. An AS member has promised to fix me up and when/if he does, I'll pass along the iteration.

Kevin

Attachments

• Granberg-chisel-file.jpg
    Granberg-chisel-file.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Granberg-chisel-file-2.jpg
    Granberg-chisel-file-2.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Granberg-chisel-file-3.jpg
    Granberg-chisel-file-3.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Granberg-chisel-file-4.jpg
    Granberg-chisel-file-4.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 24
I've never got any traction on this. This was the original Granberg setup for square filing. I had one loggin' and then tried to get another in the mid 80's....but Granberg discontinued it. Best hand jig for square filing. Using a progressive raker gauge, you can delete all the anguish in getting the cutters to the same length.

Interestingly, after struggling for yrs to fortify a broken base, I finally realized the base of the square file jig is the same as the standard metal File 'n joints made now.

So if you have a home metal mill, you could fashion the file end pieces as in the pictures or actually better. In another thread with Philbert, we actually talk about this and a retired machinist did it. An AS member has promised to fix me up and when/if he does, I'll pass along the iteration.

Kevin
Kevin,is that a model#107?I believe that is the model number for the granberg to square file.

Kevin,is that a model#107?I believe that is the model number for the granberg to square file.
Yes, says so on the tag in the second pic.....exactly as it came. However on mine, this was a sticker put over the original round file model sticker. I had no idea until I pealed the tag off one day.......which gave me the imputes to buy the current round file model and use that new base.

So essentially, I have a cobbled together G-107 which I made work all these yrs. The original file holders broke and I made do. It's an easy fix with someone having a small milling machine. My guess is that the original prototype was made in steel, but Granberg made the production model in pot metal.....a fatal mistake.

Those round discs(in the first pic) that held the square file were paper thin and broke first....then the clamp on holders themselves cracked and broke.

Kevin

It is similar in appearance to one of the older STIHL filing guides I have. They probably paid a third-party to manufacture it with their company’s name on it, to be sold as an accessory.

Philbert
Found another. This time Oregon branded. Looks like a built in file handle which is handy.
Screenshot_20211103-112852_Gumtree.jpg

Yes, says so on the tag in the second pic.....exactly as it came. However on mine, this was a sticker put over the original round file model sticker. I had no idea until I pealed the tag off one day.......which gave me the imputes to buy the current round file model and use that new base.

So essentially, I have a cobbled together G-107 which I made work all these yrs. The original file holders broke and I made do. It's an easy fix with someone having a small milling machine. My guess is that the original prototype was made in steel, but Granberg made the production model in pot metal.....a fatal mistake.

Those round discs(in the first pic) that held the square file were paper thin and broke first....then the clamp on holders themselves cracked and broke.

Kevin
What settings are you using to file square?

Thanks, Ron

What settings are you using to file square?

Thanks, Ron
The tilt up & down I use 20 degrees and the actual cutter angle anywhere from 35-37 degrees. The file angle that corresponds to the hash-marks on the round discs I can't tell you because the discs are long gone. I have those marked with a Sharpie from experience.

I do have the original instructions somewhere on a tattered yellow sheet.....but I haven't laid eyes on them in ten yrs or more. They were pretty horrible and confusing when I first started using the jig some 40+ yrs ago.

Kevin

I should make a video....or at least they tell me to. If I can get the AS member to make me some parts, I'll show folks how to make a square file sharpener out of a standard Granberg G-106b. Those numbers I gave are for pro, Oregon .404 68CJ chain. Other style chains may require different angles.

I know there's a vid out on YouTube where a guy does this, but not for a Pferd Double Bevel Square Chisel as the orignal G-107 was setup for.

Kevin

Thanks. This gives me a base from which I can figure the rotation of the file.

Ron
One of the biggest things when square filing on a jig is the actual rotational tilt of the file itself. If you have too much rotation, the file will sharpen the cutter more under the edge of the cutter(think of a cliff analogy). You should see metal filings coming off the edge of the cutter and it should look razor straight. Anything else and your saw will wander all over the place and/or pull in your cuts. You want the file to just dress the edge and the inside of the cutter at the same time.

Also when you're setting up your jig, lower the file completely into the gullet, then raise ever so slightly. If your file touches the top of a tie strap, it's no big deal as long as you don't let it groove way into it. Never had a tie strap let go because it had file groove marks on the top of it.

Kevin

I bought this Sears File-N-Guide back around 1980 I believe. Sure looks a lot like the Granberg. The 'Sears' name is just a stick on label.

Attachments

• Sears File-N-Guide  (1).JPG
    Sears File-N-Guide (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Sears File-N-Guide 2 (3).JPG
    Sears File-N-Guide 2 (3).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Sears File-N-Guide(2).JPG
    Sears File-N-Guide(2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I bought this Sears File-N-Guide back around 1980 I believe. Sure looks a lot like the Granberg. The 'Sears' name is just a stick on label.
Granberg ‘private labeled’ many of these. After patents ran out, many copies and versions were made by lots of different companies. Tecomec made/makes several versions. STIHL made at least 3. The SEARS versions were probably made by Granberg.

Philbert

Back