Granberg milling chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul hill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Other than a little freehand playing around, I'm just getting started with milling.

The saw I've dedicated to milling at this point is a Pioneer P61 that I've added a dual port muffler and a few other performance improvements to. I have an Alaskan 36" mill and just got some Granberg ripping chain.

My question is reference raker height on the scoring and clearing cutters. The instructions with the chain don't really answer my question.

The instructions say that the depth gauge on the scoring cutters should be .010 lower than that of the clearing cutters. Then they have a chart that shows depth gauge measurements for 3/8" pitch chain as .028. I'm assuming that the .028 is for the clearing cutters and then, per the instructions, the scoring cutters should be .018. Or, should the scoring cutters be at .028 making the clearing cutter .038.

The .028 and .018 made the most sense to me but I'd rather not assume a whole lot.

I'll be starting off milling some large (40"+) Ponderosa Pine logs. After that, most of my milling should be on local trees that I normally cut such as Mesquite, live oak, and juniper. Most of those should be quite a bit smaller than the pine logs.

Thanks to all that contributed to the Milling 101 thread. I learned a lot of helpful tips by reading the posts there and I know it will safe me some grief in the future.

Paul

Back