granberg ripping chain vs woodland

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redoakneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just got into milling and am using the woodland ripping chain from bailey's. Works very well and is very easy to sharpen.

I read that the granberg milling chain is the best, but looks like it may be more difficult to sharpen because it has those side-side cutters and then the regular cutter.

Any one sharpen the granberg milling chain by hand, and how does it compare to the woodland ripping chain????

I once experimentally ground an old loop to Granberg specs. What a pain. I can't imagine that maintaining it regularly would be any fun, either. On the other hand, it does cut quickly and smoothly. Still, regular ripping chain cuts plenty quickly and smoothly and is way easier to keep up on. I'd stick with the WP unless production is an issue.

Thanks a bunch!!!

I am happy with the woodland chain. It looked like sharpening the granberg chain would be difficult but I didn't know if there was a secret to it???

The woodland is so easy to sharpen, makes it nice!!

When you buy an Alaskan mill from Granberg, they hit you up with ads for their chain, as well as a diagram of raker depths and cutter angles. I'm pretty sure that they're hoping that you find the DIY approach as much of a hassle as I did, and simply buy it from them.

Latest posts

Back