"Grandpa" 044 goes to rehab

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bounty Hunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
You all who have a small business know the drill...never enough time, never enough money...or both. Being as busy as we are, there is NEVER enough time to completely go through any of the nine saws that make up our little fleet. Each week I try to clean and service 2 saws...which ones depend on the work needed at the time. Three weeks ago "Grandpa" came up to the table...a trusty old 044 that has the honor of being our oldest working saw.

Looking at it, I thought "Geez, Grandpa, you are look'in a little thrashed. Your bar has seen too many trips to the belt sander. Your dawgs are bent. Paint's all chipped off. Your sprocket's really grooved. One of your bar studs is mostly stripped. Muffler's not rusty, but nasty looking. Maybe it's time to show a little love for the hardest-working saw on our crew"

So here he is, in the middle of rehab...
(BTW, how many of you can get away with your dining room table looking like this!!!!????)
attachment.php

So Gramps got a new bar, sprocket, chain, new factory big dawgs, plug, new bar studs, air filters, muffler painted with hi-temp, plastic polished, and a whole cleaning and detailing. Here he is now:

attachment.php

attachment.php

He's a real happy camper now...runs like a dream and LOUD (muffler mod).

044 FOREVER! :cheers:

Not rehab

Hey Bounty, let's show a little more respect for your loved ones! This is not rehab; it's Christmas come early for ol' grandpa saw. He's just been sitting quietly and biding his time while the youngsters got your attention. Now it's his turn to receive a few gifts and a makeover. Or maybe it's a birthday celebration?

Now go get some balloons and streamers and put a pointy little party hat on that good old 044!

Olyeller

Excellent work.......

BH, I just wanted to drop you a line and say that the 044 looks wonderful! There is a whole lot of pride evident there in your refreshing of that thing of beauty. Great work! You're right about "time and money". Never enough of either, but somehow, someway, we manage. You take care of yourself, and keep up the great work. Best to you my friend, Max.:cheers:

I used to use an old beat to death 044,looked like it was dragged behind a truck down a dirt road.
that saw ran and cut,day in and day out.....in the hot and in the cold...dirt, mud,pinched in logs,you name it.
to this day it was the toughest saw or tool for that matter I have every seen.

:biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2:
You all who have a small business know the drill...never enough time, never enough money...or both. Being as busy as we are, there is NEVER enough time to completely go through any of the nine saws that make up our little fleet. Each week I try to clean and service 2 saws...which ones depend on the work needed at the time. Three weeks ago "Grandpa" came up to the table...a trusty old 044 that has the honor of being our oldest working saw.

Looking at it, I thought "Geez, Grandpa, you are look'in a little thrashed. Your bar has seen too many trips to the belt sander. Your dawgs are bent. Paint's all chipped off. Your sprocket's really grooved. One of your bar studs is mostly stripped. Muffler's not rusty, but nasty looking. Maybe it's time to show a little love for the hardest-working saw on our crew"

So here he is, in the middle of rehab...
(BTW, how many of you can get away with your dining room table looking like this!!!!????)
attachment.php

So Gramps got a new bar, sprocket, chain, new factory big dawgs, plug, new bar studs, air filters, muffler painted with hi-temp, plastic polished, and a whole cleaning and detailing. Here he is now:

attachment.php

attachment.php

He's a real happy camper now...runs like a dream and LOUD (muffler mod).

044 FOREVER! :cheers:

If you ever decide to send Grandpa to the nursing home, just send me a pm, he can certainly come and live with us. I have an ole 044 and it is one of my favorite saws! Keep Grandpa alive as long as you can!

Wow that old lad looks good! What do you use to clean up the plastic?

I used "Plastic Renew" which is a kit that you can get at Yamaha and Honda dirt bike dealers. Basically buffed it out real good, then followed up with a wax and detail polish "S100" that comes from the Harley Davidson dealer.

I spray the detail wax thick on all saws that go out, especially on the bars...it seems to prevent pitch and sap and oil buildup, and helps prevent the bars from getting the paint wore off too soon. Grandpa's old bar had been waxed and polished so many times the "Stihl Rollomatic" printing was long gone, and about half the white paint...the only good thing about that is when I fliped the bar upside down for a chain change you couldn't tell the difference...

Man, the old 044s are great saws...I looooooove 'em...I might just look for another on CL or fleabay...:givebeer:

Saw Safe Brothers and Sisters,
Bounty Hunter

This isn't a shameless attempt to bump my own thread...I didn't realize the "after" pictures were so crappy until after the post...so I had go and try to take some better ones:

attachment.php

attachment.php

They still aren't very good pictures, but at least the dining room table got cleaned up...:cheers:

the 044 is a great saw--

you have a great looking example of the 044s!:greenchainsaw:

Back