Granny smith apples

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawn lady

Reaction score
I have read through some of the info you have already posted about apple tree care and pruning, it has answered a few of the questions I was going to ask, but I still have one or two more......My children planted 2 Granny smith Apple trees in our back yard in NC and they are rather tall and skinny only being from a 5 gal pot. The leaves look proud and healthy and the label said to plant them 20 feet apart, so we did. It is obvious they are "babies" and fragile to many things being so young. What if anything special do I need to do to these "babies" to get beautiful fruit in the future?? I didn't know what was meant by the clothspins to train them, I don't know when to expect fruit for the first time, and how old would you expect them to be...I bought them in a 5 gal pot, one is over 6 ft but has hardly any branches on it, it is just a stick with leaves basically. The second is about 5-6 foot and a bit more bushy and leafy in appearence. I paid 10 dollars a piece for them. thanks again for your help.

Latest posts

Back