Grapple load - space and delivery access requirements

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboycowen

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I finally moved to a house with a decent amount of land, and bought a wood stove. I have enough wood to get me through the winter, just about, but i need to start planning for the future. I'm thinking about getting a grapple load of wood to start my stock.

My driveway is perpendicular to the street, and slightly sloping down. A truck cannot turn around, but my driveway is long enough to park. The delivery trucks (UPS, Fedex, moderate freight truck) has been fine pulling in, usually backing in and driving straight out.

Not far from the street, i have a decent size spot where i think the wood will fit. What length log should i expect, and how much space do i need? I'd prefer it to be spread out a little, since I don't have machines to move the wood, i'd be cutting it right off the stack, i would think.

Just want to make sure I have what i need before i pull the trigger.

I finally moved to a house with a decent amount of land, and bought a wood stove. I have enough wood to get me through the winter, just about, but i need to start planning for the future. I'm thinking about getting a grapple load of wood to start my stock.

My driveway is perpendicular to the street, and slightly sloping down. A truck cannot turn around, but my driveway is long enough to park. The delivery trucks (UPS, Fedex, moderate freight truck) has been fine pulling in, usually backing in and driving straight out.

Not far from the street, i have a decent size spot where i think the wood will fit. What length log should i expect, and how much space do i need? I'd prefer it to be spread out a little, since I don't have machines to move the wood, i'd be cutting it right off the stack, i would think.

I would talk to the guys you are getting the wood from and see what the size is.

Everything up here is delivered in 100" lengths.

I also have seen pictures of log deliveries from guys on here in other parts of the country that were a lot longer than that where the logs were run parallel with the trailer.

One more item.

Ask them you would like stringers put down first so the log pile is up off of the ground.

My guy builds a little canoe shape cradle with a few logs first so they are up off the ground and they won't roll off of the ends of the pile.

length will depend on who you buy from...some guys have rear loaders so they are limited to about 18-20' length max, and about 7 cord capacity...most have a regular truck with the loader behind the cab so 24' or so length max, and 8-9 cord capacity.
width for either truck will be about 12' for the stablizers so its a bit wider than a ups truck...
and for room needed for the logs, figure a 20-24' square...they usually lay 2 logs down for bunks then pile the logs on those.
where are you out of anyway? I'm in north central MA

Yeah don't forget how heavy the trucks are. Need a driveway with thick stone base or it will sink in soft ground. Even crack concrete if its not thick..........

Your best bet is to have the driver come out and look at it, if he can. Sending pictures of the area to the driver is another consideration. A full log truck is heavy so whats been said about a good base is critical.

IIRC log trucks are allowed to run 120,000 in Michigan (I think?) No way on Gods green earth Im allowing a log truck on my driveway It aint worth the chance of cracking it etc. So now he is out in the mud/grass... I read on here some where, on here maybe. Someone on here ordered a log load and they like 3-4 months ago and it may not be there for a while yet like March-ish maybe. The story was everyone wants wood and its been wet. something like that I really don't remember, So at any rate it you are wanting a log load you might want to get a move on, depending on were you are at this early freeze up may help things along a bit maybe? Take all of this with a large grain of salt I have never ordered a log truck or dealt with anyone other then tree hack guys. The only advice I can offer is to make sure there are NO cables on that side of the property to hang a dump on or a boom or a:rock:... I know it aint fun no pics though

Awesome advice thus far, thank you.
Nathon918, I'm in Pepperell. Know anyone that does grapple loads? I haven't found a source yet, but haven't really tried. I think early spring would be fine. I'd like to be able to burn it next winter. Also need to acquire a splitter. I think that's for another thread though.

I'll scope things out based on the advice above and post some pics. I think 12 foot would be fine, as long as the driver doesn't mind backing in like 40 feet or so.

It may be wishful thinking, but i'll probably get it cut up pretty quickly, primarily because i'm a saw geek and jump at any chance to use them.

If you can't either buy nor manage to fit a grapple truck in, you might also could look into maybe three or four bubba truck loads, regular like maybe a flatbed dump with some logs on it.

It's the quantity and price you are after, not necessarily the delivery method.

Might be some firewood guys who are out of seasoned, but would consider some truck loads of green logs or big rounds, etc.

IIRC log trucks are allowed to run 120,000 in Michigan (I think?) No way on Gods green earth Im allowing a log truck on my driveway It aint worth the chance of cracking it etc. So now he is out in the mud/grass... I read on here some where, on here maybe. Someone on here ordered a log load and they like 3-4 months ago and it may not be there for a while yet like March-ish maybe. The story was everyone wants wood and its been wet. something like that I really don't remember, So at any rate it you are wanting a log load you might want to get a move on, depending on were you are at this early freeze up may help things along a bit maybe? Take all of this with a large grain of salt I have never ordered a log truck or dealt with anyone other then tree hack guys. The only advice I can offer is to make sure there are NO cables on that side of the property to hang a dump on or a boom or a:rock:... I know it aint fun no pics though
around here log trucks are tandem or tri-axle straight jobs 7-9 cord... nowhere near 120K, some do have tractor/trailer with a mid mount loader but usually not used for firewood delivery...

Nathon918, I'm in Pepperell. Know anyone that does grapple loads? I haven't found a source yet, but haven't really tried. I think early spring would be fine. I'd like to be able to burn it next winter. Also need to acquire a splitter. I think that's for another thread though.

I'll scope things out based on the advice above and post some pics. I think 12 foot would be fine, as long as the driver doesn't mind backing in like 40 feet or so.

It may be wishful thinking, but i'll probably get it cut up pretty quickly, primarily because i'm a saw geek and jump at any chance to use them.
don't know of anyone out that way, I'm in the Gardner area, the guys I know wouldn't deliver that far...

Hi FatBoy, call TreeMasters in Boxboro. I get grapple loads from them for $700 and it's a solid 7 cords, maybe even 8. I've been buying from them since 2008. (It used to be $400 a load!) Anyway, they recently bought a big screw for their excavator. This screw is about 3 feet tall and they use it to split tree length logs that are destined for firewood. The load I got this year had all the big logs split in two: advantages are the truck can haul more, the logs are easier to cut and they are already drying out a bit. Bob

I would not wait for spring the ground might be to soft. Now would be a good time, A couse your securing a load and B the ground is firming up.

Back