Grease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not mentioned and not particularly relevant but one mandatory requirement for
synthetic grease is when your equipment operates at temps below when regular
grease freezes solid. There are various greases with different and incompatible
base formulas such as lithium but I forget what their special applications are.
I do know that when they are mixed they can disolve each other and you get
close to zero lubrication so it is worth paying attention to. I think a lot of brands
rely on that to scare you into only using their brand by not telling you if they
are or are not compatable with other brands and by not telling you their main
components.
The main lubrication components are listed on the package and the greases rating is too....often the name of the grease blend is the give away so as not to need to read the fine print.

Love me some Mobil1 synthetic grease. I used it on my 95 Ford Ranger and it is past 300K with no ball joint or wheel bearing failures. If I'm greasing riding mower spindles or wheel bearings I will economize with the Farm store Lithium grease.

back in the day ford had a fibered grease it was fit for hand packing wheel bearings , it give grief if you tried to push it thru a zerk. I talked to lucas about finding their green grease . It is for extreme pressure applications and they said they are having problems getting ingredients required to make it. Anyway I found mobil xtreme pressure grease 7 bucks a tube but it has a good feel and flows well. bought the last case.

back in the day ford had a fibered grease it was fit for hand packing wheel bearings , it give grief if you tried to push it thru a zerk. I talked to lucas about finding their green grease . It is for extreme pressure applications and they said they are having problems getting ingredients required to make it. Anyway I found mobil xtreme pressure grease 7 bucks a tube but it has a good feel and flows well. bought the last case.
The extreme pressure reminded me of grease packets (10 to 16oz,) The Heil Drier is a semi trailer load by itself and is a large drum rolling on big trunnions with fuel oil heat blasting through it to dry sand and dirt for an asphalt plant. The grease was made and put in packets to be tossed into the trunnions and steel tire so if you saw it was flaking it got a pack or three. Extreme Pressure the heat kept you backed off 10 or more feet and I still squatted with a ducked head (kept low) needless to say not all of the packets hit their target , and if it hit the right way the grease stuck to that hot steel tire.

I have a lot of good equipment and I got sick of one grease for this, one for that ect... I switched everything I cared about to synthetic grease, and never looked back!

It's worked out great for me, as far as I'm concerned, it's worth the money.

SR
What’s your go to brand? I’m assuming there are quality concerns just like any other grease….

I've used Schaeffers 221 for probably 15 years. It's aluminum complex base which is superior in resistance to water wash out (think bearings, universals, boom pins, etc). I use the NLGI #1 as it has the same high temperature ratings as #2 but carries a lower temperature rating. Last case I bought was $6 a tube.

I was using Valvoline but then I switched to this industrial grade,

Triax Atlas 600 Full Synthetic...

91OnCdZuWFL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I like this grease and it was priced right, when I bought it.

SR

I've been using Schaeffers 219 in everything lately and have been happy with it.

Latest posts

Back