Greasing the sprocket bearing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh hell no... to much tail to chase and fast cars mess with, and beer to drink... a lot of trouble to get into. :)

I think it's funny when I see 17-19 year old dudes are hangin' out on here for hours on end... go away and be a teenager! Go get in trouble!

Gary

jokes aside.............

if you ever grease the bar tip, you must continue to do so. once you grease it the old grease forms a psudo gasket of sorts that doesnt let bar oil into the bearing.

if you never grease the bar tip the bar oil gets in there and keeps it happy and well lubricated.

ive never greased a bar tip EVER!!!! sure i occasionally have to replace the tip, but thats why they make them replaceable.

i also run used oil for bar oil. the extra cost in tips, bars, and the occasional oiler (havent had to replace one yet but it will happen) is far outweighed in savings since i get all my bar oil for free.

is there a way i can save this post and have it automatically posted every time the tip grease topic comes up?

jokes aside.............

if you ever grease the bar tip, you must continue to do so. once you grease it the old grease forms a psudo gasket of sorts that doesnt let bar oil into the bearing.

if you never grease the bar tip the bar oil gets in there and keeps it happy and well lubricated.

ive never greased a bar tip EVER!!!! sure i occasionally have to replace the tip, but thats why they make them replaceable.

i also run used oil for bar oil. the extra cost in tips, bars, and the occasional oiler (havent had to replace one yet but it will happen) is far outweighed in savings since i get all my bar oil for free.

is there a way i can save this post and have it automatically posted every time the tip grease topic comes up?

No.

The used motor oil thing will outweigh that.......

On my saws with inboard cutches, after I unload the wood from truck and kiss the wife. I goto the shop and clean my saw(s). I clean the bearing with brake cleaner and regrease it. With outboard clutches I spray down the sprocket area with brake cleaner and oil the bearing with light oil(same oil I use in the pillow bearings for swap coolers). I hate outboard clutches now that I own two inboard clutch saws!

With outboard clutches I spray down the sprocket area with brake cleaner and oil the bearing with light oil(same oil I use in the pillow bearings for swap coolers). I hate outboard clutches now that I own two inboard clutch saws!

On some Huskys with outboard clutches, you can pump grease through the hole in the clutch side of the crankshaft, and it comes out a small, perpendicular hole at the clutch drum bearing.

Look in your owner's manual, or pull your clutch and take a look.

Philbert

If a bar has a greasable nose sprocket, I grease it at least every time I start, often I will give it two or three shots each side when I stop to fill up with gas and oil.

My Stihl bars are not greasable and the Stihl chain has some extra grooves that are intended to carry extra oil down to the sprocket bearing.

I normally remove the clutch every 3rd or 4th time I use a saw and give it a thorough cleaning and lube the clutch bearing.

I have not had a failure of a bearing (clutch or nose sprocket) in over 25 years on the greasable, 15 years on the Stihl. I do not cut all day every day, but when I do I use the saws pretty hard.

I use the same lithium based grease I use for wheel bearings and spindle bearings on the mowers, etc.

Mark

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back