Great little Trip - Germany & Austria

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leiterch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, I just got back into the country and was in Germany and Austria for the last 2 weeks.

1 question?

I think it is a sickness when you are driving on the Autobahn and the only real good memory is all of the fresh wood cut and stacked all along the road. :)

When going through the Austrian Alps, it was really cool to see all the logging. Those countries def like their logging and from what I can tell they like heating with wood. :) All great in my book. The Alps were pretty amazing. Very steep, looks like some knarly logging conditions.

If there are any of you Germans or Austrians on here. kudos.

Two pictures. One from the Austrian Alps and one from Germany. Bet you can guess which is which. :)

Hey there! You could have sent me a pm when you were here in Austria. What did you see? I know our Autobahns don't allow that kind of speed but no one really cares that much about it (except if the police catch ya!). I know our alpine regions are much steeper than in the US.

Hey there! You could have sent me a pm when you were here in Austria. What did you see? I know our Autobahns don't allow that kind of speed but no one really cares that much about it (except if the police catch ya!). I know our alpine regions are much steeper than in the US.

Yes the Alps are impressive. What is the best ski place in Austria?

Depends on how good can you ski? How high is your budget? How much prestige do you want?

Well, when I think of skiing in Austria I think postcard. Those places, I'm sure, cost a lot more money then the average ski resort. So I guess that I'm saying that cost isn't really an issue if you're planning a once in a lifetime ski vacation. By American standards, advanced level. If prestige=luxury then that would be a consideration. The skiing and the place would be on equal ground in my mind.

Well, when I think of skiing in Austria I think postcard. Those places, I'm sure, cost a lot more money then the average ski resort. So I guess that I'm saying that cost isn't really an issue if you're planning a once in a lifetime ski vacation. By American standards, advanced level. If prestige=luxury then that would be a consideration. The skiing and the place would be on equal ground in my mind.

Well what should I say. Kitzbühl, Schladming, St. Anton are just a few of the top level ski resorts that will make you more than happy, and your wallet more than unhappy! I have the luck that my brother and me own a very small house in Gastein. So for us winter vacation is nicely affordable.

Well what should I say. Kitzbühl, Schladming, St. Anton are just a few of the top level ski resorts that will make you more than happy, and your wallet more than unhappy! I have the luck that my brother and me own a very small house in Gastein. So for us winter vacation is nicely affordable.

Thanks for the info. Your English is excellent. :)
Sie sprechen fließend Englisch und Deutsch?

Last edited:

Thanks for the info. Your English is excellent. :)
Sie sprechen fließend Englisch und Deutsch?

Thank you and you are welcome!

I am as most central europeans multilingual that adds french, swiss and some italien. Then there are some regional dialects in the alpine area where even if you understand german you have no chance.

I was in Graz, Austria for a couple days and took the direct route from Frankfurt, Germany and then took the route through Salzburg, Austria on the way out. It was a great drive both ways, but Salzburg was really great. That would be a great view to wake up everyday.

You are correct the Alps in general are much steeper than the Rockies here in North America. If you love technical downhill skiing or rock climbing, WOW, would the alps be fun.

Back