Little Jonsered 2149

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HadleyPA

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I was given this little saw by my grandfather a couple months ago and just finally decided to try it out yesterday. When I got it I drained the wee bit of gas out of it, added a bit of fresh and fired it up and cut a couple small limbs with it. After that I drained all gas, fired it up, ran it dry, adjusted and sharpened chain and put it on the shelf with the others.
Yesterday I decided to use it to cut up some junk wood that I figured I would burn in the garage stove. Gassed and oiled up and off I go. Saw starts right up and runs great for about 15 minutes until I turn it on its side to cut off a limb that was on top of the log. At that point it starts acting like it's going to die and I had to keep feathering throttle to keep it going. After this it would only run up to about 3/4 throttle. I ran it a minute or two like this before stopping and adding some seafoam thinking if it was something in the carb, maybe I could get lucky and this would fix it. (Not likely I know, but I didn't feel like tearing it down yesterday). So I go back to cutting and after about another 5-10 minutes of running bad it finally straightened out and I thought, boy that was lucky. It ran great for the next 10-15 minutes until I turned it on its side again and then it started all over again running like crap and not going over 3/4 throttle. The funny thing is both times it started to run crappy is when the saw was tipped on its side. Bar up, bar down, none of that affected it, that's why I don't really think it's a fuel line issue. Also, when it was running bad it still idled just fine and and it did not need choke to run, that's why it makes me think it's not the carb either. Anybody have any ideas?

A saw altering throttle response while being rotated through 360 degrees is usually known as a pretty good Redneck test for failing crank seals.
But this saw had previously been sitting a while- so it could be one or a few of many things, especially with that nice E fuel you folk get to play with.

If it were mine, new rubbers in the form of fuel lines, grommets, gaskets, manifolds- new fuel filter. Strip carb, clean and fit a new OEM carb kit. Pressure & vac test the saw for air leaks. Check/replace the manifold to cylinder clamp, check all mountings on the intake side to make sure nothing is moving when the saw is twisted onto its side and restricting throttle rod movement.

I've had a different saw exhibit the same symptoms when the tank vent was leaking... Turn it on its side & the fuel would leak & pool under the carb causing it to run excessively rich for a while. I'd also be checking the clamp that holds the rubber boots to the cylinder, these are well known to cause problems

Back