Green Ash Girdled by Twine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think with proper care the tree should out grow that without a problem. I have seen trees with the ties left on like that break at the point of girdling, but I think you caught it in time. It looks like the tree is a little deep. You may want to excavate the soil to the root flair and add some mulch. How does does the canopy look? Is that dead bark sloughing off on the right side of the photo?

I think with proper care the tree should out grow that without a problem. I have seen trees with the ties left on like that break at the point of girdling, but I think you caught it in time. It looks like the tree is a little deep. You may want to excavate the soil to the root flair and add some mulch. How does does the canopy look? Is that dead bark sloughing off on the right side of the photo?
totally agree. re finding hte flare, green ash will grow advintitious roots readily. some pics taken as you excavate could be very interesting.

Should come out fine. Just a year or too more though and it would be time for a new tree.

Back