Green Ash ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hausfire

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anybody ever burn green ash .I just got a load of it and i,m about to split it.someone told me its like burning sycamore, of which I'm not a big fan because it burns fast and has no embers or heat value. let me know if I should bother wasting my time spittin and burnin it. Thanks
Eric

Anybody ever burn green ash .I just got a load of it and i,m about to split it.someone told me its like burning sycamore, of which I'm not a big fan because it burns fast and has no embers or heat value. let me know if I should bother wasting my time spittin and burnin it. Thanks
Eric

Very good firewood and easy splitting too.

I'll burn all the ash I can get ahold of. I was amazed on how well it burned green. I had some elm with the bark off of it, but was still a little green in the heart wood, and I put some green ash in with it to get it started.

Kyle

Two years ago I had an Ash cut down late in the fall. Tree cutter said burn it now so I stacked it next to the house and about a month later I used it. I thought it was average and liked the fact I could burn it without seasoning it.

I'd much prefer white ash over green ash. I've got some big(30") green ash rounds that are a real bear to split. Even when quartered up they still suck. White ash is almost always a breeze to split.

Ash is an average firewood, comparable to cherry,birch or soft maple. About 25% less btu's than oak. (despite what another has posted) I would use it. Typically splits very easily and as has been said, can burn very well with little or no seasoning.

Ash is an average firewood, comparable to cherry,birch or soft maple. About 25% less btu's than oak. (despite what another has posted) I would use it. Typically splits very easily and as has been said, can burn very well with little or no seasoning.

It sure puts out more heat than cherry, birch or silver maple. It is easily on par with sugar maple or red oak. The numbers may not indicate it, but white ash is good for the coldest nights around here.

Ash it seems is all I can get this year

We have Mountain, Green and white ash here they all give a slow hot fire in a stove and most of the time its a good wood but for the -40 degree day and nights I like American or Red Elm gives a faster hotter fire with more coals.

If there were 3 - 5 acre lots ash, oak or elm and I was told I could clear only one it would be the Ash, I would be missing the Oak & glad I didn't have to split the Elm.

But

if there were 3 piles of wood, Ash, Oak or Elm all dry and ready to burn I would take the Elm,
:confused:

+1 for the Ash. It's firewood candy whan you find a nice ash tree! Easy to split, one of the only woods you can burn almost off the stump. It seasons fast and is even better. By all means split it now and use it this winter. :cheers:

Ash has become as of this last heating season one of my personal favorites. I just got a lead on and picked up 4 loads in a truck plus trailor and me and my sons split about 7 cords llast week with about 7 more to go (all free due to ash borer!) I put it up against oak this last year and the oak does burn somewhat longer but in my opinion not as hot to me the ash worked out better for me i'm sure it has slightly less BTU's overall but man it is nice stuff!! The stuff I cut last week is already light due to the hot windy days we have had, I have it in a open field direct sun. Splits nice and easy too!! Take it and use it you won't kick yourself!!

Here is a very handy site that shows BTU's for many different types of wood.

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

White Ash is right up there next to Red Oak.

Thanks for posting the link. It makes my point exactly. Green ash is right there next to cherry and red (soft) maple. The dude asking the question has some green ash, not white ash.:)

Eric

It's the best stuff I cut and burn. Someone doesn't know ash. And by the way it does not burn bad green.

It sure puts out more heat than cherry, birch or silver maple. It is easily on par with sugar maple or red oak. The numbers may not indicate it, but white ash is good for the coldest nights around here.
I have to agree with you. I don't know what kind of ash Husky has but must not be the same as us in Indiana and Mich. I'll take it right along with Oak and always over soft maple or birch.

It's the best stuff I cut and burn. Someone doesn't know ash. And by the way it does not burn bad green.

Maybe we need to clarify. Is the original poster asking about green ash as in the species or as in unseasoned? Two completely different questions. I assumed he was referring to the species. There are a half dozen species of ash in my neck of the woods.

Back