Greener wood for overnight burn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndeereg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Do you think you gain much creosote loading a typical old indoor woodstove with a chunk or two of wood that isn't quite all the way seasoned before nighttime? Was thinking it would put out heat longer once we go to bed by using 1 round of wood that wasn't quite as seasoned, so it takes a while to burn up. Or am I going to add a bunch of creosote from this one round or wood per day? thanks

Well not vast amounts of creosote burning one big round a night but the problem with damp wood is the creosote deposits are the oily glazed type that most chimney fires start from.
Another down side is damp wood will burn longer but loose 1/2 or more of it's heating value shedding moisture so you turn great potential wood into quite poor quality wood.
IMO your always better to burn nice dry wood and control the night burn with smaller quantities of air.
Doing that with dry wood will surpass burn times of damp wood and avoid all the problems of burning damp wood.

It might burn (read SMOULDER) for longer, but you will get less heat and generate more creosote.

+1 - What Ihaveawoody said. Burn the damp wood during the day with a good bed of coals and air. Save the good dry stuff for overnight.

Just use larger pieces, much larger, of your regular wood.

You can also get used to getting up in the middle of the night and reloading.

I put a smallish/medium chunk of hackberry cut this fall on a pretty good fire & regretted it. It wasn't foaming or pissing out the ends, but I knew for sure after it was all said & done that it was still too green to be trying that again anytime soon?

Please don't burn green wood. Dry wood, big pieces and balance your intake and exhaust. Flue temperature gauge will allow you to dial it in. Adjust to your woodstove. Don't make the woodstove do what it isn't intended to do. Some stoves just won't burn all night. If it is that cold then set an alarm and feed it in the middle of the night.

Latest posts

Back