Greetings from Oklahoma

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charleyono

Reaction score
A big storm roared thru our property back in 2015 which split and severely damaged seven River Birch trees in our back yard, most were 20 - 30FT tall and in clusters. It was time to get to work. We worked with what we had, which was a few electric chain saws. I also purchased a 50FT length of 3/8 in steel cable and a come-a-long. It took is a few weeks, but the wife and I cut down all of the trees and called friends to take fire wood, etc. It was quite a job for ordinary folk with zero experience. In 2017, I purchased a Stihl MS 271 and a small 170. I've been using the saws periodically for cutting down more trees ,trimming, etc. ever since. The new Stihl saws are far superior to the electric saws I ruined during the storm clean-up. At one point I was on an extension ladder leaning up against the tree, when the large branch that I cut swung down and hit the ladder with some force. Fortunately, I had used bungie cords to secure the ladder to the tree or I would have become airborne. Since then, I learned to make the cut to avoid a swinging branch. Maintaining the saws and chains has been interesting. I removed carburetors in both, cleaned and reinstalled. I have become a big fan of using and maintaining the saws. When working well, they cut through the largest pieces with ease. I am interested in learning from other's experiences, tips and suggestions. Also, I would like to know where I can obtain Parts lists and Service Manuals. Thanx!

A big storm roared thru our property back in 2015 which split and severely damaged seven River Birch trees in our back yard, most were 20 - 30FT tall and in clusters. It was time to get to work. We worked with what we had, which was a few electric chain saws. I also purchased a 50FT length of 3/8 in steel cable and a come-a-long. It took is a few weeks, but the wife and I cut down all of the trees and called friends to take fire wood, etc. It was quite a job for ordinary folk with zero experience. In 2017, I purchased a Stihl MS 271 and a small 170. I've been using the saws periodically for cutting down more trees ,trimming, etc. ever since. The new Stihl saws are far superior to the electric saws I ruined during the storm clean-up. At one point I was on an extension ladder leaning up against the tree, when the large branch that I cut swung down and hit the ladder with some force. Fortunately, I had used bungie cords to secure the ladder to the tree or I would have become airborne. Since then, I learned to make the cut to avoid a swinging branch. Maintaining the saws and chains has been interesting. I removed carburetors in both, cleaned and reinstalled. I have become a big fan of using and maintaining the saws. When working well, they cut through the largest pieces with ease. I am interested in learning from other's experiences, tips and suggestions. Also, I would like to know where I can obtain Parts lists and Service Manuals. Thanx!
What part Oklahoma are you from

Latest posts

Back